Northern Virginia

Welcome, Neighbor! I'm in Northern VA but am in Prince William. I think more of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley when I think of Winchester. Sadly, when I think of Northern VA I think of crowded sub-divisions and road congestion. It's not all that way, of course, just the built-up areas closer to D.C.

I was born in Winchester but grew up about 20 miles away. My mother and brother live in Winchester now so I am up there every month or so. It's always been one of my favorite cities.

I've seen people from Front Royal as well as from the Valley here. You'll find quite a few neighbors! There's lots to be learned here and plenty of very knowledgeable and helpful folk. Enjoy! 
Where in prince William are you?

I'm a little frustrated, too, that there doesn't seem to be more going on. I'll apologize for myself, first, though, since I've been forgetting to check in on this site regularly. Still, with as many farms and whatnot out here close to Purcellville, I'm surprised I don't see more places offering birds, chicks, or eggs, and surprised not to see much trace of anyone on here.

As for myself, I've been spending the past couple weeks trying to deal with predators. I'm suspecting a fox :( It got two of my brand new pullets, then my year-old Ameracauna (who I actually wouldn't miss that much since she doesn't lay) went missing in a poof of feathers left behind. Searched the neighbors backyard and found some pullet legs just over our 5.5 foot fence, in her pachysandra. Then, close to her house, my hen popped her head out of her hiding place. One eye was a little messed up and closed, but she's doing well enough now. Setting a have-a-heart trap with cat food and ground meat has yielded NOTHING, though--not even a cat, and I know there are several that run around outside. I reinforced the bottom of my coop a bit and have to re-roof it before getting some more pullets. We're only allowed to have four or five birds here, so this was devastating. --David

quote name="Davidconn8d" url="/t/759458/northern-virginia#post_16695471"] As for myself, I've been spending the past couple weeks trying to deal with predators.  I'm suspecting a fox :(  It got two of my brand new pullets, then my year-old Ameracauna (who I actually wouldn't miss that much since she doesn't lay) went missing in a poof of feathers left behind.  Searched the neighbors backyard and found some pullet legs just over our 5.5 foot fence, in her pachysandra.  Then, close to her house, my hen popped her head out of her hiding place.  One eye was a little messed up and closed, but she's doing well enough now.  Setting a have-a-heart trap with cat food and ground meat has yielded NOTHING, though--not even a cat, and I know there are several that run around outside.  I reinforced the bottom of my coop a bit and have to re-roof it before getting some more pullets.  We're only allowed to have four or five birds here, so this was devastating.   --David
[/quote]

So sorry to hear of your predator issue! Around this time last year (late Feb., early March) a fox came through and finished off most of our flock. We lost our buff orp. (HUGE favorite), speckled Sussex, an Easter egger, RIR, and barred rock. We were left only with our rooster, and the one hen who doesn't lay (go figure). I ordered some new chicks, who have matured over the fall/winter and are now all laying. We are getting 8 or so eggs per day, and it is awesome to have fresh eggs again.

Our chickens are safe at night--- our coop is very predator secure when closed. Unfortunately, our foxes have no issue with coming out for a meal in broad day light. This time of year, I think they may have kits, and they must be hungry. A fox grabbed one chicken while I was standing right there last year.

We now have a fenced in run, no more free ranging at all :( . I am sure a determined fox COULD climb over the fence during the day, but so far, the birds have been safe (knock on wood.)

Last edited:
Maybe us northerners are too busy working lol and all the farms near me are horse or procuring farms. It's pretty upsetting to see land not being used for the community. But maybe people will start chiming in.
Hey it would be fun to do a home swap since none of our local TS allow them

ISO coronation or Isabel any breed
And barnevelder maran any super dark layer
But really want some blue copper Marans

I ask you all because shipped eggs have been giving me too much trouble so I'm think either northern Virginia folks or shipped from Virginia would be better

How would you want to do the swap?

Lol I have no idea
I know in CA they have rules about being NPIP and AI tested but I guess if we just did it then no one would know? We could decide as a group how we would want it I guess. I do know that the tractor supply's here don't allow them.

I have to be honest I've never even been to a swap. How are they normally? Like does everyone bring birds? Or do people just sell there birds and anyone can come? We could make it how ever we want? I have a big back yard lol?i think the first thing is to figure out who's interested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom