Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
I am getting over a dozen Jaer eggs a day now and would love to sell some. They are all dark. I would love to see some pictures of some light chicks here in the US. I was afraid that the light Jaers were gone in the US as until the last few posts no one had lights. I am so happy to find the light Jaers are still here.

WOW.. I guess I really really need to look to see that every breed has its own thread...
WOWOWOWOW
I have about 30 Jaers, I have 10 pullets and one cockerel that I got from a hatchery this year, one of the "cockerels" turned out to be a white/black pullet, don't know if she is technically a light or not. my other jaers came from a breeder and his friend. The breeder got out of birds all together.
I plan on getting more from Sandhill preservation, they have the typical darks, and a variety called "flame jaerhons" they are supposed to be hardier.
I love my jaers, I gave one I hatched out this year to a good friend because she was sooo sweet and loves people. She needed a good egg layer who would also be good for her kids.

I'll be doing hatching eggs from my birds once I have them in their breeding pens. I have one started right now, with a young rooster and 5 hens- 4 being from the hatchery.
I am trying to keep inbreeding down or at bay all together.

I am sure folks on here have said where they got their birds from, but if we can share where we got ours.
Mine came from Ideal Hatchery in April, my previous birds also came from there but about 2-3 years ago.
So let's hear where you got yours from??!!

Carol
P.S.
On the WI thread another Cheese head also has Jaers and a newer cheese head has eggs in her bator she got from some one, not on the WI thread.

One of the interesting things about jaers its that the entire US population came from one very small group of imported birds, so all are very closely related genetically. Despite this close inbreeding they remain hardy, efficient layers of very large eggs, with no evidence of the potential problems a small gene pool can produce. I would think that the original breeder must have been very selective of his breeding stock.

Hi everybody, I am new to this site and have no idea what I am doing or how to post, but here goes. I have two extra Jaerhon roosters that I hatched from eggs, they are about 10 weeks old if anybody would like to add them to their flocks. I live in Colorado Springs.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad to see you made it over here Love 4Choks. Hope you find homes for you pretty little roos. Nice pictures. I love the intelligent alert way Jarhons look at everything.

Back
Top Bottom