Greystone farm

Songster
Jul 7, 2020
Hello!
My appleyard female (about a year old) has been acting strangely.
I found her this morning with a bleeding nose. One of the nostrils is totally clogged and I can’t seem to get the dried blood out, but the other is clean enough for her to breathe.
Also, her droppings are a little strange. She had terrible diarrhea all over my deck.
And finally, she is hissing at me and constantly wagging her tail. I thought it was because she has to lay, so I put her in the coop to see.

Does anyone have advice for what I should do with the nosebleed? And why she’s wagging her tail and looking pissed at me?
Thanks so much y’all! 💜

Hello!
My appleyard female (about a year old) has been acting strangely.
I found her this morning with a bleeding nose. One of the nostrils is totally clogged and I can’t seem to get the dried blood out, but the other is clean enough for her to breathe.
Also, her droppings are a little strange. She had terrible diarrhea all over my deck.
And finally, she is hissing at me and constantly wagging her tail. I thought it was because she has to lay, so I put her in the coop to see.

Does anyone have advice for what I should do with the nosebleed? And why she’s wagging her tail and looking pissed at me?
Thanks so much y’all! 💜
Hey, friend. One of my ducks had a nosebleed a few months ago. We didn’t think anything of it at the time (blamed it on cold weather). Then she began eating less (and mostly treats, like worms or peas instead of pellets), started being less vocal (no more loud quacks at 7am) and eventually noticed she was breathing hard (and got tired more quickly). She was also late to laying eggs compared to her sister.

It turned out she had mycoplasma pneumonia. It was the beginning of a long and tiresome treatment with antibiotics (not to mention costly - cries in “empty wallet”!) I don’t mean to alarm you, but keep an eye on the symptoms that I described. We could definitely not link the nosebleed to the beginning of pneumonia, but they happened at the same time, so now I’m suspicious of everything.

If it does turn out to be mycoplasma/penumonia (and even if it isn’t and your duck is just more sensitive to cold weather), she will greatly benefit from bringing her inside the house. As for what antibiotic worked best, that was Doxycycline. Hope any of this helps and most importantly, hope your duck turns out to be WELL.

Back
Top Bottom