not a chicken but similar parrot leg injury

raptorddd

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
hi this is my first post here
i have a baby parrot a lilac crown about 3 to 4 weeks old. by accident it got injured and i would like to know what to do please i love him too much. i was looking at the new feathers growing and i put him on my hand then i tried to see if he would perch on my finger. he did perch on my finger for a while but when i was about to put him back to his bedding he kind of fell. he did not hit any part of his body as it was very close to the bedding. when he fell he fell to his back still perched to my finger then i help him get up but then it looked stranged one of his legs the right one was to the front and the left one to the back and his left feet its pointing alittle to the left this is the parrots left side if we are looking from behind i do not have a camera but i could try to draw a very simple drawing of what i mean. when he is sitting down he puts his weight to the right leg. when i pick him up he can move both legs but when i try to move them with my fingers i see some strength on the right one but not the leftone and it seems that there is no pain. that day he would not use his fingers to grab my finger the next day i could feel he does now but with very little strenght. i also notice some swelling on the left leg. today he kind of use both legs to stand up when handfeeding. WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HIM.? what happened to him.? can it be healed.?
thanks in advance and there is no vets here where i live.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I can't really help you, but I'll check back in sometime tomorrow and see if anybody knowledgable has found your post. I'm not sure where you're at, but it's around 2:30 a.m East coast time and posts often don't get much response this late. Anyhow, you could try doing some searches on leg injuries in the meantime and if no one else checks in I'll give you a bump in the morning. Lots of good people and information here so hopefully you'll be able to help your little guy.

It sounds like his leg is getting better already. He probably sprained it in the fall. If it was broken, I'm guessing he's like other animals and wouldn't use it at all.

Do everything possible to NOT let that leg get reinjured! Probably like no finger balancing for a while
smile.png
I don't think you need to do anything else but be very careful until his leg is healed.

thanks kittymomma, and kim65.
i am in mexico.
i will go ahead and do a serch on leg injury. i already did one last night before posting but it was too late to read. i dont think theres something broken he just fell to his back still perch to my finger. my theory is that he fell and got his muscles nerves or tendons stretched more than what they suppose to stretch as he never let go of my fingers still perched.i can pick him up and he will moved both legs in the air.he is eating ok.
after using the search i found a pic of a chick that lloks just like it when he is sitting down.
here on post #4 the little yellow chick on the first pic where he is resting on a hand.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=350876

Last edited:
Hi, I'm sorry I didn't manage to check back in this weekend. How's the little guy doing? Any improvment or new symptoms? Hoping for the best!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Hi, I'm sorry I didn't manage to check back in this weekend. How's the little guy doing? Any improvment or new symptoms? Hoping for the best

hi kittymomma
he is doing better now but there is something strange. now the left leg that he kept in a position like toads do is now sitting on it. but now he is moving both legs but when he falls to the ground with his chest touching the floor he struggles to get up and sometimes he just will lie there for a while it seems like he cant get up. now if i help him get up he will stay like in a seated position. and can move his neck up and down begging for food. i just dont like when he cant get up by himself. but it seems to be getting a little better than before. i dont know if it will help but i did a search and came up with a post talking a abouta chick chair and i make him one he is resting there now.
smile.png

update.
parrot is looking better everyday now it can stand up with both legs. and kind of walking.
thanks.

sounds like it was muscle or tendon strain. Glad s/he is improving. Try to keep it on fairly low perches or on the cage floor until it is completely healed so it doesn't fall or have to suddenly grip with that foot and leg.
smile.png

he.gif
:he:he
update now it seems that the good leg its injured and the one leg injured befored has healed.
th.gif

i did took it to a vet and hesaid there was nothing broken. but later on that night i saw one leg swollen where the leg starts rom the body i thoght it was a mosquito bite. i tokk him back to the vet and said he was ok where can i find a pic of a strain tendon or muscle.???

Back
Top Bottom