Not a question, just stating a fact.

MontanaDolphin

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Columbia, Virginia
Before I got my first chicks I knew I wanted dual purpose birds. In a playful argument with my parents, I told them I'd have no problem culling any, and they said I'd never be able to do it. I thought sure I can! It means food for the table...besides, there just gonna be chickens. It's not like I'd be killing a beloved pet, like my dog.

Then I got the chicks.

The babies are now almost 9 weeks old and out in their permanent home. I raised them from a day old. Held them, cuddled them, spoiled them...and realized that, to me, they ARE like beloved pets. Even after realizing I had 4 cockerels instead of 1, and that three of them would end up in the freezer, I still love them and spoil them rotten. How in the world am I going to be able to kill any of them?

Then one bit me.

Last night I went out to shut the run door for the night. They were all lined up on the roost, waiting for their "dinner" (I used it as a bribe to get them in the coop at night, and now it's routine...it's their mash concoction I make which is just their chick start with some yogurt and unsweetened applesauce). All but one jumped off the roost and tore into it. The lone cockerel still up on the roost kept talking to me, looking for a way to jump down to get his share. So I helped him down. And he drew blood.

I have never had a problem handling my chicks. Sure, some of them squawk and fuss when I pick them up, but after the initial "touch", they calm right down. This cockerel (Boring Boy) bit me so hard that I actually cried out...and he didn't. let. go. I tried pulling the skin of my hand out of his beak but it hurt even worse. So I turned the little thing upside down and flicked his beak with my other hand. He finally let go, and I was bleeding.

Guess who's first in line for the chopping block?

Yep. This guy.

And I don't think I'm gonna have any trouble doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I got my first chicks I knew I wanted dual purpose birds. In a playful argument with my parents, I told them I'd have no problem culling any, and they said I'd never be able to do it. I thought sure I can! It means food for the table...besides, there just gonna be chickens. It's not like I'd be killing a beloved pet, like my dog.

Then I got the chicks.

The babies are now almost 9 weeks old and out in their permanent home. I raised them from a day old. Held them, cuddled them, spoiled them...and realized that, to me, they ARE like beloved pets. Even after realizing I had 4 cockerels instead of 1, and that three of them would end up in the freezer, I still love them and spoil them rotten. How in the world am I going to be able to kill any of them?

Then one bit me.

Last night I went out to shut the run door for the night. They were all lined up on the roost, waiting for their "dinner" (I used it as a bribe to get them in the coop at night, and now it's routine...it's their mash concoction I make which is just their chick start with some yogurt and unsweetened applesauce). All but one jumped off the roost and tore into it. The lone cockerel still up on the roost kept talking to me, looking for a way to jump down to get his share. So I helped him down. And he drew blood.

I have never had a problem handling my chicks. Sure, some of them squawk and fuss when I pick them up, but after the initial "touch", they calm right down. This cockerel (Boring Boy) bit me so hard that I actually cried out...and he didn't. let. go. I tried pulling the skin of my hand out of his beak but it hurt even worse. So I turned the little thing upside down and flicked his beak with my other hand. He finally let go, and I was bleeding.

Guess who's first in line for the chopping block?

Yep. This guy.

And I don't think I'm gonna have any trouble doing it.

yuckyuck.gif

Some are easier than others, that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol! I always find that to be true. Its easier when they give you a reason to want them dead. Its a wonder all chickens aren't as tame as dogs, when the selections process manages itself. When I had snakes, the aggressive mice always went in the tank, while I bred the nice ones because I didn't want to kill them. After a few years I had mice that would climb into my hand and lick my thumb, then look up at me like "I am a good mouse! See! A good mouse like you wanted! (Please don't kill me...)"

I have a 7 1/2 week old SLW roo whose name is Little *******, because he attacks me every time I go near the run or open the coop door. He won't be missed either.

yuckyuck.gif
I'm sorry you got your finger hurt but your post was amusing all the same. This is one of my reasons for not having roosters. I know hens could be just as mean but I personally have never had a run in with a chicken. My daughter however has been attacked 2 or 3 times by roosters.

-Katie

Last edited:
I know EXACTLY what you mean. People find out I have chickens and how much I love them, and they're like "Do you ever... you know... eat any of them!?" I say, "not yet, but I could." They go, "How can you eat them when you give them names and know all their personalities and stuff?" I reply, "Some of them make it easy to eat them."

We had two roos who were vicious floggers that were in line for the stew pot, but we found a family that needed roos to protect their flock out in the country and gave the chickens to them, instead. Saved us the trouble of butchering them, plus it made another family happy. I could never butcher my buddies like Winnie or Gaga, but Milton and Elvis? BREAK OUT THE CROCK POT!

You know the saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

Well apparently a previous rooster (that I also hand raised) didn't understand that concept.
Best Christmas dinner we ever had...

Back
Top Bottom