Not again šŸ˜£

On the other hand, days are getting really hot, and Dougie is still dedicated to her nest, so sits in her panting. She has water right beside her but it's difficult to keep the coop cool. I don't want her to get too warm.
She's also not accepting golfballs as substitutes lol, though Sprightly loves trying to roll them around.
So I'm considering breaking her brood, it's been over two weeks of no laying. Thoughts?

On the other hand, days are getting really hot, and Dougie is still dedicated to her nest, so sits in her panting. She has water right beside her but it's difficult to keep the coop cool. I don't want her to get too warm.
She's also not accepting golfballs as substitutes lol, though Sprightly loves trying to roll them around.
So I'm considering breaking her brood, it's been over two weeks of no laying. Thoughts?

My girl Chocolate went broody at the beginning of the year. She didn't sit any longer than that before deciding she had enough. She still took a good 2-2.5 month or so break altogether though. I think you could probably make her stop at this point. If not, you could freeze some gallon jugs and put those close to her in the coop. A couple months from now my coop will be getting so hot I'll have to leave ice jugs in with them at night.

As far as oats go, I'm not entirely sure what a good substitute would be. My initial thought would be something like brown rice, but after some reading that seems less than ideal. And a lot of other cereal grains I can think of would unlikely be any more available/affordable than oats. How are you currently getting your oats? If you have a feed store for horses or anything around, you might be able to find a bigger/cheaper bag.

This is a lunatic:
IMG-20221002-WA0001.jpg

We all know that Dougie is a very silly duck, but she has outdone herself!
While I'm sitting there, forcing calcium down poor Sprightly's throat- Dougie comes running over, grabs a bit of calcium pill, runs off and eats it!

I have to force it down Sprightly's throat, meanwhile Dougie is STEALING it like its freaking candy :lau
Don't worry, I know she isn't laying right now and shouldn't be eating calcium like that, lesson learned, I'll shut Dougie away next time šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

In other news, Sprightly laid again last night, but the shell is good, only a couple super tiny deposits. The shell is nice and strong and otherwise good.
She's definitely doing much better shells, and taking days off here and there.

This is a lunatic:
View attachment 3526383
We all know that Dougie is a very silly duck, but she has outdone herself!
While I'm sitting there, forcing calcium down poor Sprightly's throat- Dougie comes running over, grabs a bit of calcium pill, runs off and eats it!

I have to force it down Sprightly's throat, meanwhile Dougie is STEALING it like its freaking candy :lau
Don't worry, I know she isn't laying right now and shouldn't be eating calcium like that, lesson learned, I'll shut Dougie away next time šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

In other news, Sprightly laid again last night, but the shell is good, only a couple super tiny deposits. The shell is nice and strong and otherwise good.
She's definitely doing much better shells, and taking days off here and there.
Your ducks are quite the characters! And I love the bond you have with them. :love

Back
Top Bottom