Not again šŸ˜£

Sprightly skipped last night and just laid an egg this afternoon, as I found her laying beside it with Dougie watching over her. The egg had a fair few calcium deposits, but a nice strong shell and she seems fine.

Dougie seems to be losing interest in her nest, I considered taking it away a while back but I decided to give her another week. She's had three weeks brooding now, a three week break from laying, and has been off the nest a while today having let them go cold. So I've taken them away now. She'll get a chance for real, in the not too distant future. Soon as I move out, she'll get a chance at raising some babies!

Dougster is back to her social happy self! Which means she has been getting into trouble. Trying to sneak around me to avoid bedtime, spending her day filling both the pond and water bucket with dirt for no reason at all... and chasing me to chew on my boots!
IMG-20230608-WA0053.jpeg

Oh how I missed her, cheeky lil monster.

Yes he was one of the best. He passed away in Feb at age 13 yrs old.

I'm so sorry you lost him, he sounds like a wonderful rooster, and he definitely had an amazing time with you :hugs . Gamefowl are so unique, I swear they make you fall in love with them so much more. I don't know what it is about them. They are amazing birds. I know it will hurt once I give my male away in the next few months. Was he your only gamefowl, or do you keep/breed many?

Why are you giving yours away?
I actually started out with game my dh worked at a Christain retreat and someone dumped a game hen on the property where there was another game fowl rooster running around with wild turkeys well these 2 got together and she went into the woods and hatched 10 chicks that very day when she brought them out of the woods my dh and others caught them and I came and got them She was such a great mama Her name was Miss Lydia hense my BYC name here. This was in 2009 Rufus was the last of my first flock. He was an awesome protector, a great daddy rooster, and of all 4 roosters he was the one I decided to keep because when the rest were fighting he was off with the hens. šŸ„°

Back
Top Bottom