Not an Emergency but i wanna make sure hes OK

Quote:
This was answered on page 1

Quote:
They molt in the fall. The first fall molt is a mini-molt and often not noticable--the big one at 18 months can make the chicken coop/run look like the remains of a major pillow fight and the hardest hit chooks seem to be pre-plucked.

Quote:
After their first big molt then they should molt on an annual basis each Fall.

It should be fairly noticeable, but I think it really depends on the individual, time of year, weather, etc. My EE is molting now and it's the same level of molting as last year. I picked her up and feathers just fell everywhere. Same thing happened with my Sebright hen but she molted in September. She wasn't completely bald but the molting/pin feathers were easily seen.

Same here. One of my black stars is going thru a MAJOR Molt. One day Harry-( is a she) - had feathers the next day 1/2 were gone. He was walking funny and crouching down too. I called the vet and he said if possible move him and a friend to a seperate run and increase the protien in the diet. We raise soldier fly larva and I bought Flock raiser and game bird crumbles and gave the 2 of them a little of that higher protein crumbles mixed in with thier regular layer crumbles. He said to keep him there a few days and let him "get his feet back under him" with out being subject to torment by the rest of the flock.

We also bought- Dura-Vet - vitamin and electrolyte granules to add to the water source and I have researched that Nutri-Drench is excellent to keep on hand - that too is a vitamin and mineral supplement you add to the water.

We will see - let me know how yours does.

Back
Top Bottom