Not an emergency, just a Question:)

fanynany

Songster
Aug 22, 2020
Texas
I recently discovered fowl pox in my roo and he’s 5 months old, is it too late to vaccinate them? they’re all 5 months old.

Could you post pictures of the lesions?

Generally, if only one or two are affected out of a whole flock you can vaccinate to help prevent further spreading within the flock, and reduce clinical symptoms. You can get the fowlpox vaccine here, and administer it via the wing/stick method :

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=63c9bff7-0ae9-41a5-bce7-773d195ee78c

For the lesions, you can apply Povodine-Iodine to them to help prevent infection of the surrounding tissue, and to help dry them out. Any sores around the eye, you can use Terramycin to prevent ocular irritation. Disinfecting their feeders and waterers, increasing ventilation in their coop, reducing mosquitoes populations if present, providing affected birds with vitamins are some additional measures to help reduce spread, and clinical symptoms.

i asked the community if it was fowl pox and they said it looks like it? not 100% sure but beans my roo is the only one that seems to have it, their mouths look normal as well. it seems like his fowl pox is spreading as well, he only had 2 yellow pimple like things on his comb a bit ago. sorry im a little late they like to nap under plants and trees and they hide :)

Attachments

• E2152B96-7290-4BAC-9BB8-E7D5AFF36D3E.jpeg
    E2152B96-7290-4BAC-9BB8-E7D5AFF36D3E.jpeg
    469 KB · Views: 29
  • 902D5408-BE17-45CB-922D-0F2D0B330E56.jpeg
    902D5408-BE17-45CB-922D-0F2D0B330E56.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 28
If you are sure he's the only one that has pox, then vaccinating the rest will protect them from it. Isaac has provided a link for the vaccine.

i asked the community if it was fowl pox and they said it looks like it? not 100% sure but beans my roo is the only one that seems to have it, their mouths look normal as well. it seems like his fowl pox is spreading as well, he only had 2 yellow pimple like things on his comb a bit ago. sorry im a little late they like to nap under plants and trees and they hide :)
If that's the extent of what you are seeing on the wattles, I would leave it alone.

Where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom