Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

With my last demise, a Faverolle named Blizzard, I will never be really sure if it was dehydration/heat stress or Marek's or both. I hate the second guessing myself. She didn't eat or drink for 5 days, then drank a tiny bit for 2 days. She did stand a bit, but didn't walk, or walked with wings. And it's like if I gave her an antibiotic, which one? What would I be treating? Would it have mattered? It's just so hard , isn't it?

Haunted, I just couldn't remember. I think everyone gives good advice, and with this disease, you def. need more heads to come up with ideas. No need to be sorry about anything. I think we all have a different direction that we go to study, and see and try to understand. I know from reading your posts, and everyone's posts, if I'm not learning, I'm putting thought into what someone is saying., I think it's called food for thought, LOL. And reading what someone is going thru with their chicken, and following up with a necropsy, is so informative. It also shows us more symptoms that end up positive for Marek's.
I know, and that scares the crap out of me. So many different symptoms showing. I have something going on now and I'm beginning to think it may have something to do with Marek's showing in this new crop of birds this year. I have 1 bird showing Gleet. She isn't even at POL. 3 almost 4 month DB with gleet? Hello? I am totally disgusted and have no idea what to think right now. The cannibalism is back as well. Not severe, but enough to have lost 2 girls yesterday. There is no reason for this...they have light, air and room. A fan going to make sure the building is cool and plenty of protien for their age. I am beating my head bloody against a brick wall here and no clue what is going on. I have watched these birds for hours on end and still cannot find a single thing that could be related to a 'cause'. Unless it is marek's, in some weird way. Home hatched...none. Hatchery..oh yeah. Bad genes and crummy zones.

well I candled the eggs tonight, day 8, 2 I couldn't see through, need a better flash light, and the other 7 show veins and a circle of sorts, a couple of the circles were dark areas. Is that all good?

OK, I am going back to the feed store today to return the injection tylan. What is THE BEST stuff to get for swollen, stuffy, sneezy chickens? lol Thanks for the help.
You do not have to return the injectable...use it as an oral. It does lose some of it's strength when given that way but not by much. I have always used the Duramycin or Sulmet as I had both on hand. I now use the Di-Methox as it is a lot nicer to your birds. With Sulmet, the cure is almost as bad as what you are treating. It's a good one to have on hand, but save it for the ones where there doesn't seem to be much else you can do.

In my med kit for my animals this is what I always have on hand...Duramycin-10, always have at least 5 pkts., Di-Methox, 3 pkts., Sulmet, 1 bottle, Tylan 50 and 200, 1 each. I also have the human equivalent of Baytril, a script of Cipro I was told to stop taking. This is me...with special needs birds something is always coming up and I would much rather be safe than sorry.

It's going to come down to what you can get locally. If you don't want to try the Tylan, then you need to see if you can find Di-Methox or the Sulmet. With the stop and start with the Duramycin, I just don't believe you will see the best results as the virus has had a chance to build strength between dosings. I would switch to something else before this gets out of hand. Coryza is the first that comes to mind but so many of these diseses can cause the same symptoms. Still with the swollen head...I would be thinking Coryza rather than an IB.

OK, I am going back to the feed store today to return the injection tylan. What is THE BEST stuff to get for swollen, stuffy, sneezy chickens? lol Thanks for the help.
I use Baytril 10%, it's a liquid that can be used as an injectable *or* orally. It's about $25 for 25ml or $40 for 100ml. The dose for poultry is 15-20mg/kg (.15-.20ml per 2.2 pounds), so a small bottle should last a long time. You'll find the generic version by searching for enfloxil.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice! Went back to the feed store, and all they had was dermycin, tylan 50, and tylan 200. I bought a syringe, and will be giving it to them orally ( the Tylan ) It sounds like I'll have to keep an eye out for baytril! Yeah, it seems like I'm collecting myself a medicine chest for chickens! I now have: sulmet, wazine, permethrin, usually have electolytes, and now Tylan.

If it's useful for anyone, here's some of the info I've put together on Tylan & used in treating my birds:

Med may treat some (but not necessarily all) strains of these health problems: Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma, Necrotic Enteritis, Ornithobacterium Rhinotracheale

--For soluble: Mix fresh water at least every 3 days. Don't mix with vinegar.
--Soluble form less effective on adults than young birds.
--Can give with thin needle into different spots in breast muscle or subcutaneously for 5-7 days.
*Tylan 50: Up to 1.6 cc. (This is a lot of fluid--May wish to split up-- some orally, &/or inject some intramusc. &/or subcutan.
*Tylan 200: 1/2 cc. (Tylan 200 is easier for chickens. Smaller dose required.)
--Can possibly give Tylan injectible orally instead or in addition to injection, tho there has been speculation that this might cause throat damage?? You can try putting needle-less 1-cc size syringe well down throat almost to crop to try to minimize risk.
-Active for 8 hours. Can split dose into 2-3 times/day.--May cause pain at injection site & gastro-intestinal disturbance. Birds may be reluctant to eat or move very much.
* Injectible can cause minor damage to breast muscle. May be best to split dose up & inject into more than one site. Not recommended for meat birds.
Caution: Combining multiple Macrolides reduces effectiveness.

I have gathered info on a lot of different meds & compiled it in a Chicken Medicine Chart on the website linked in my sig, if you are ever looking for a reference that covers a large number of meds.

If it's useful for anyone, here's some of the info I've put together on Tylan & used in treating my birds:

Med may treat some (but not necessarily all) strains of these health problems: Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma, Necrotic Enteritis, Ornithobacterium Rhinotracheale

--For soluble: Mix fresh water at least every 3 days. Don't mix with vinegar.
--Soluble form less effective on adults than young birds.
--Can give with thin needle into different spots in breast muscle or subcutaneously for 5-7 days.
*Tylan 50: Up to 1.6 cc. (This is a lot of fluid--May wish to split up-- some orally, &/or inject some intramusc. &/or subcutan.
*Tylan 200: 1/2 cc. (Tylan 200 is easier for chickens. Smaller dose required.)
--Can possibly give Tylan injectible orally instead or in addition to injection, tho there has been speculation that this might cause throat damage?? You can try putting needle-less 1-cc size syringe well down throat almost to crop to try to minimize risk.
-Active for 8 hours. Can split dose into 2-3 times/day.--May cause pain at injection site & gastro-intestinal disturbance. Birds may be reluctant to eat or move very much.
* Injectible can cause minor damage to breast muscle. May be best to split dose up & inject into more than one site. Not recommended for meat birds.
Caution: Combining multiple Macrolides reduces effectiveness.

I have gathered info on a lot of different meds & compiled it in a Chicken Medicine Chart on the website linked in my sig, if you are ever looking for a reference that covers a large number of meds.
SpeckledHills, I can't tell you how often I use your site....when I need a quick referrence it's all right there and I've linked it back to others many times. Thank-you for that! With all the things we have to be careful of now I thinks it's much better to be safe than sorry. I've seen just how fast a flock can be wiped out and it is always better to be able to have what you need and act proactively before things get too far out of hand. With Marek's....well there's only so much you can do. Fight any secondary problems that pop up and dose with vitamins and probiotics.

well I candled the eggs tonight, day 8, 2 I couldn't see through, need a better flash light, and the other 7 show veins and a circle of sorts, a couple of the circles were dark areas. Is that all good?
I couldn't candle my hens eggs until I went to TSC and bought one of the small flashlights that have 9 leds in them. $1.99 each now and I can see through even the thickest shell. No heat either. Love it!

Back
Top Bottom