Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haunted55, Feb 3, 2013.

1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Never heard of it. I ended up getting Tylan 50. What is the dosage? Thanks for the help.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The dose for Baytril is 15-20mg/kg once a day for five days.

-Kathy

3. salt and pepper

Is Baytril the same as Tylan? I the dosage the same?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

They are two *very* different drugs. I've only used Tylan once and I gave it at 40mg/kg as a shot in the breast muscle. 40mg/kg is .8ml per 2.2 pounds.

-Kathy

5. salt and pepper

I will be giving it orally, not through a shot. I don't enjoy the thought of injecting a few dozen birds. LOL. So, how many teaspoons ( or mg ) per gallon?

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If you are treating for Coryza, Tylan is not going to do it. Sulmet, like Casportpony said, or Sulfadimethoxine (albon), or known as Di-meth.

7. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    http://ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index....site&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Thank-you Dawg53

He also recommended 1/2 cc/ml Tylan 50 once a day for 5 days. Just give it orally. "give your rooster 1/2cc tylan orally once a day for 5 days. Pull his wattles down and his mouth will open, then shoot the liquid in his mouth and immediately let go of his wattles so he can swallow the liquid on his own and not aspirate"

Baytril...if you do not have a way of getting this from a Vet or able to find this somewhere without a prescription....if you have human Cipro antibiotic..one or two pills left from a prescription, I have the dosing and mixing for this. Baytril is serious stuff and will knock whatever it is out of your bird, fast.

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Haunted, see? My source (twincitiespoultrysupply) , does not list Coryza as something that Tylan treats. But there may be another source that does. It's pretty confusing, LOL

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Is Baytril worth having on hand?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by