Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Kathy if you read 5 sources, they will tell you 5 different dosages for Tylan. I think there is a safety window if it's in the ballpark. Merck manual I think says 35 mg per kg, my notes tell me 10 mg per kg (or 3-5 mg per pound from another source.) Another site says 100 mg per chicken each day in the drinking water. Here is another supporting the 10 mg per kg for broiler chickens: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12448074

Okay... but if they have been under-dosed, chances are the bacteria is now resistant to tylosin, so I'm not sure any amount of tylosin will help, I just don't know enough about bacteria and antibiotics.

-Kathy
Agreed! Trouble is unless they can get the Baytril locally, the situation is going to get worse. Depending on where they are if mail ordered it's going to be days or a Vet visit to even get it. Which would be the best thing to do, even if not practical. That way they'd know if it was gram positive or not and what antibiotic would be best. I don't even know what they have. If it's Coryza then I would try the Duramycin-10 at the 800mg dosing for 7-10 days. that's 1 tbls. per gallon of water.

You know in thinking about this...this may be something like Aspergillosis or IB. No antibiotic is going to touch either one of those, supposedly. Not having pictures or a really detailed description of the symptoms...we're taking a stab in the dark.

You know in thinking about this...this may be something like Aspergillosis or IB.  No antibiotic is going to touch either one of those, supposedly.  Not having pictures or a really detailed description of the symptoms...we're taking a stab in the dark.

All true.

It'd probably be helpful to start a new thread specifically on this problem. I can't remember for sure what symptoms are, but I'm thinking it's not Marek's?

HELP!!! I know this probably doesn't have to do with mareks, but everybody on this thread is really experienced. Update on the EE, full recovery! Anyway, I have another bird that seems to have a slight swelling in the face, and all my birds are sneezing, and some have slightly " fatter " heads, but not enough to be called swelling. Tomorrow I will be able to go to the feed store, and I need to know what meds to get before 7:00 am tomorrow. I have come to the conclusion that Tylan sounds like the best option, but also dermycin, Vetrx, and tymercin. Which one is best? There is no heat, hardness, or fever, just a little puffy in the face. Thanks for the help!!!
This is the recent one with the symptoms we've been trying to help with. Like I said, not much to go on. Pictures and more details would be nice.

This is #813 and it was 1 week, 1 day ago.

Last edited:
I just wanted to pop in and thank you all, for all the info you have given me. I know this is a marek's thread, but since marek's birds immune systems are shot to heck, they come down with all kinds of different diseases and parasites, so I have learned tons from you all about so many different diseases, the treatments, the parasites and treatments! I tend to come to this thread and read up on all you people have written in the past and have learned so very much!!! Thank you all soooo much!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack this thread... Here's a link to my question. Thanks so much for the help!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/821484/help-respritory-problem-and-dont-know-what-to-do
S&P, you're not really...when I started this thread, I did so with questions that a person with Marek's in their flock would face. This thread has kind of evolved into a place for others to get help, ideas and support when things go bad. I am still using it to tell the story of my own flock and when I have something to report on hatches from my control groups, I put it in. If you read back through, you'll see there are quite a few different things discussed here. and I think it's a good thing. I think it has helped keep the ones that's got, sane and the ones that might have less afraid.

I do agree that you did need to start a new thread for the problems with your birds. Here, you are only going to get a small percentage of answers from the very knowledgeable members of BYC. With a thread dedicated to your bird's problems, you will get many, many more and since this seems to be a real poser, it will be a good thing to do. Good luck! I hope you can find out the answers you need to make your birds healthy again.

Back
Top Bottom