Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

I've tried the vodka a couple of times. It worked well on two of the smaller pullets. I had one hen that was about 8 or 9 months old that had stopped laying and was having having respiratory problems. I tubed her with probably 30 ml of vodka. I figured it was enough to put her into a coma if DH didn't do the job correctly. She didn't get sleepy, and I had to leave so I left DH to do the job when she got sleepy. She never got sleepy. By the time I got home hours later she was still walking around like normal. I decided if she could survive 30 ml of good Russian vodka, I'd let her have a second chance. She lived a couple more weeks before her comb turned purple and she stopped eating. Then it was time to get out the hatchet.

I have to admit it has gotten easier to do the culling. It is never easy though since I raised all these little guys by hand, most of them in the house, and a lot of them even hang out on the couch and watch TV with us. Once they have a name it is hard to see them go.

ETA - looking back, I think the hens that weren't affected by the vodka had very slow crops. They weren't impacted, but they also didn't empty normally. I find this to be somewhat common in my Marek's birds. I have successfully treated the sloIw crop just to have them die a month or two later.
sad.png
if there is a next time, alcohol, at least so they wouldn't fight.

I just checked, She is gone. I am happy, she is off to better things. So I will bury this girl tomorrow on my property under the quince where I left space next to where I put her sweetheart Poppy.

And that is that.

So sorry to hear your little girl has gone too but at least her suffering and yours has ended. That "to cull or not to cull" dilemma is horrible. I managed it once and it was really difficult but it wasn't a pullet that I had come to know and love over a period of months of special care. And when one has rallied twice and had really good spells in between, it's even harder to make the decision.

My hens free range with my horses and having had their freedom, they are miserable being confined to a pen. The fox attack was my fault to a large extent because I was late back to shut them in. Thanks for your offer of help but I am familiar with using electric fencing. Unfortunately it would not be suitable for this purpose in my current set up, but I am looking at changing that.

Wow so sad to hear these stories of our chickens not making it. It is never easy. Updated on the chick that was not doing well, she pasted away in the night Friday night. I knew she wasn't doing well and I tried to feed her but all she wanted to do was sleep. I can't believe my first year chicken raising has not been smooth. It was hard to see her go. I just pray she went sleeping and had no pain.

I have some questions now: as you know I lost my flock to Marek's and now I have one chicken left and she hatched some eggs and I have four now. I was told to depopulate my flock but here it is 3 weeks later and they are still here! I was going to not keep them so I ordered 5 vaccinated chicks and they are coming this week. I would like to keep them all but I don't think I can house 10 chickens in our coop. I want them to have space. I can't bring myself to do anything to hurt these chicks. I have a friend who has a family member that lives on 4 acres and has said she would take some chicks even though she knows the situation. Her place is awesome and they just run around and she isn't concerned about the no Vac. Here is my concern:

1. Should I do this? Will it stress my Brahma out if she loses 2 or 3 chicks and has only 1 or 2 left She is an awesome and very attentive momma and really looks after them.But will she be ok with still some of her chicks?
2. How will be baby chicks do being taken away from their mom at a young age? She will take them next week and they will be 4 weeks old. Although I know they will have a great life there, the bad thing is she lives in the next state over so it would be hours before they get home. I am not sure that is a good thing for these chicks??? Should they be older?

I am keeping the new chicks inside as long as I can before letting them out and that is why I will keep a chick or two to keep Brahma company since there is no flock to return to! What will happen when she is done raising these guys? And she has no flock to return to? Will these chicks driver her crazy??? I hope she will except these new guys later one. Although she is one of the sweetest chickens ever.

Sorry for the long article but just not sure what to do. Thanks for any advice.

Well, ordered baytril three days ago from that Mexican company. Hasn't been shipped yet though... Hoping the chickens don't get worse before it comes. How long does it usually take?

Has anyone notice that with chicks that are hatched into mareks, they seem to have delayed growth? My chicks are all growing.. But very, very slowly

Well, ordered baytril three days ago from that Mexican company. Hasn't been shipped yet though... Hoping the chickens don't get worse before it comes. How long does it usually take?

Has anyone notice that with chicks that are hatched into mareks, they seem to have delayed growth? My chicks are all growing.. But very, very slowly

My broody raised chicks are a lot smaller than the ones in the house, but they are also a couple of days younger. They also hatched out of pullet eggs, so maybe it is just a coincidence. I should weight some of them today and see if there is a big difference. The outside chicks were vaccinated and then stuck under the broody. They are 3 weeks old today and seem totally normal, just smaller.

Wow so sad to hear these stories of our chickens not making it. It is never easy. Updated on the chick that was not doing well, she pasted away in the night Friday night. I knew she wasn't doing well and I tried to feed her but all she wanted to do was sleep. I can't believe my first year chicken raising has not been smooth. It was hard to see her go. I just pray she went sleeping and had no pain.

I have some questions now: as you know I lost my flock to Marek's and now I have one chicken left and she hatched some eggs and I have four now. I was told to depopulate my flock but here it is 3 weeks later and they are still here! I was going to not keep them so I ordered 5 vaccinated chicks and they are coming this week. I would like to keep them all but I don't think I can house 10 chickens in our coop. I want them to have space. I can't bring myself to do anything to hurt these chicks. I have a friend who has a family member that lives on 4 acres and has said she would take some chicks even though she knows the situation. Her place is awesome and they just run around and she isn't concerned about the no Vac. Here is my concern:

1. Should I do this? Will it stress my Brahma out if she loses 2 or 3 chicks and has only 1 or 2 left She is an awesome and very attentive momma and really looks after them.But will she be ok with still some of her chicks?
2. How will be baby chicks do being taken away from their mom at a young age? She will take them next week and they will be 4 weeks old. Although I know they will have a great life there, the bad thing is she lives in the next state over so it would be hours before they get home. I am not sure that is a good thing for these chicks??? Should they be older?

I am keeping the new chicks inside as long as I can before letting them out and that is why I will keep a chick or two to keep Brahma company since there is no flock to return to! What will happen when she is done raising these guys? And she has no flock to return to? Will these chicks driver her crazy??? I hope she will except these new guys later one. Although she is one of the sweetest chickens ever.

Sorry for the long article but just not sure what to do. Thanks for any advice.
You are doing the right thing by keeping the new chicks isolated for at least 3 weeks before putting them outside. When introducing new chicks with older birds, they chicks should be at least 8 weeks old.

Does your friend taking the chicks know they will probably be infected with Marek's and could die at a later date? In my experience, the first signs of Marek's show up as early as 6 weeks (sometimes later). Your chicks you have now are too young to show signs at this point. In my opinion, it would be better to keep the chicks that are with your broody. They will integrate in better when the broody leaves them, and you won't how to worry about how your hen will respond when you take the chicks away from her. She will also not be alone in the coop while the other chicks are still too small to go in with an older chicken.

Regardless of what you decide to do with the chicks, if you rehome any of them you are obligated to tell the new owner that they are potential carriers of Marek's.

rebrascora, alibabba, spoiledgachix, I'm so sorry to hear of your losses.

I too have a sense of relief when a hen passes before I have to cull - sometimes doubting myself that I should have helped sooner, but it is so hard.

I am glad to hear we are all trying...and sometimes making it work. I hope everyone with chicks keeps in touch about the progress.
Thank goodness for everyone on here!

My broody raised chicks are a lot smaller than the ones in the house, but they are also a couple of days younger. They also hatched out of pullet eggs, so maybe it is just a coincidence. I should weight some of them today and see if there is a big difference. The outside chicks were vaccinated and then stuck under the broody. They are 3 weeks old today and seem totally normal, just smaller.
interesting!

The last time I shipped something to someone in CA it took several days.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom