Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Hi

Sorry to hear about your hens that died. It doesn't sound like Marek's to me as it usually affects youngsters under the age of 12 months.

One sounds like she may have had ascites (water belly) or perhaps egg bound. Bloated and walking like a penguin are indications of those and if so, she probably got to the stage that her lungs were collapsing from the pressure of it or heart failure is also common. Watery poop is usually an indication that she is not eating enough and the foul smelling yellow reflux will probably be due to bile coming up because it can't go down through her system. The excessive thirst may be because she is dehydrating as a result of the water belly, odd as that seems.

Well done for opening her up. I know it's not a nice thing to do especially when they are pets The photos don't show anything obviously untoward apart from the inside of the gizzard being rather yellow.... again due to bile. Liver looks healthy enough from what I can see. That orangey yellow fat is normal for an old hen. Was there a lot of fluid in her abdominal cavity where she appeared bloated? It would have helped if you had lifted out her intestines and arranged them in a circular shape just so that we could see if there was any obvious blockage. Also, did you find any eggs (partially formed or just little yolks and any masses that looked like cooked sausage meat (lash eggs)?

Sorry, I can't really offer any more comment on it at the moment. Are there other posts where you have documented their symptoms as they have happened, just in case there is something there that you have forgotten to outline here?

Hoping this is the end of your chicken health problems. I know with mine that I have long periods where they are all fine and then I have a bad spell when they all seem to want to be ill, which can be pretty demoralising. Hang in there. Things will get better.
A note about her intestines......in the third photo you can see me holding something between my two fingers. THAT is all there is of her intestines. They were compact and very hard. In my 3rd hen that died whom I opened, her intestines took up three times a much space as these ones. Hers were much softer and full of food.

The third hen's intestines sound normal. I assume she didn't have that huge fluid blister either.

I've not opened up a hen with ascites before so I don't know if it's normal for their intestines to be so impacted. I have one that has an obvious swelling but she is getting about OK and eating and hasn't got any worse for several months, so I'm letting her muddle along until such times as she starts to look like she is suffering. I believe you can drain them but there is a good chance they will fill up again and I wouldn't want to put her through that repeatedly. I was given her to cull by a neighbour as she doesn't lay eggs and he was having a clear out but she's getting a second chance with me for now. I will try to remember to take photos of her post mortem exam if/when she goes the journey.

I hear ya. That "blister" is just fluid filled inside her abdomenal wall membrane. I have been reading about others how have this "water belly" and they drain their birds once or twice a year and the birds seem to carry on without any real issues. I may do thta if these last 2 birds show signs, but the vet only charged me $25 to put the 2nd bird down, so if they start to get bad I'll have to end it.

It is so sad here where I live. People have birds dropping dead from Marek's all over the place. Even young chicks are getting it at 4 - 6 weeks and showing early signs of wing and leg paralysis.

The majority of people here in Washington do not believe in vaccinating chickens. One person started a rumor that vaccinated birds shed active virus and will kill other birds. Now no one will vaccinate. Also, people are not willing to send their birds in for testing because they do not want to be tabooed for having Marek's. Instead, they will just go out and get more chicks, who will die in a few months from Marek's as well.

I wish people would read the literature that is available instead of spreading false information around.

Marek's vaccine CANNOT cause Marek's Disease!!!! It is a Turkey Herpes vaccine, available as a tablet that is dissolved in an antigen, frozen, and kept refrigerated until use--and when mixed, must be used within about an hour. Takes about 2 weeks to stimulate and develop immunity to Marek's. Chicks should be kept away from older birds for about 2 weeks! It is designed for hatcheries, as one tablet will vaccinate 1000. Vaccination, to be sure of best results, must be done at hatch--as soon as possible after hatch. It is probably a lifetime immunity, but many people re vaccinate their older birds to use the mixed vaccine, as it cannot be kept. I vaccinate even ONE chick, but that is a rarity, but I hen (bantam) hatch now, and usually have at least 4-5 chicks, and do try to set eggs under more than one broody hen to save vaccine tablet (which, for me, is divided into 4ths. Careful measure of diluent makes 4 hatches the best insurance against Marek's in my flock. I used to sell many young and mature bantams, and would NEVER send one not vaccinated for Marek's. I no longer purchase birds, but never purchased one that was not vaccinated!' There is NO treatment or CURE!

You makes your own choice--allow birds to die of Marek's (and your rare recoveries are carriers of the virus--a LONG LIVED VIRUS--for life.) Recovered bird's eggs do not carry the virus, but any unvaccinated birds you acquire WILL be exposed and in time will be sicken and DIE! It costs far less to vaccinate than to feed and lose ANY friend that is a chickie!

GOOD LUCK and take that advice to search and research valid sources. Few Vets do chickens/and know about Marek's virus--but they can send to a source for necropsy--so you know IF indeed Marek's causes your loss! Most will be State Universities with a Veterinary Medicine program. Our state does not have one, but my Vet sent a bird of mine, to Colorado, for necropsy and they sent a complete, detailed report!

My 12 week old Ameraucana cockerel passed away yesterday from what I now believe was Mareks...he was eating a lot, had greenish poop, and then all of a sudden collapsed yesterday and could not be nursed back to health. I am scared now that his cage mate has been exposed and possibly the rest of our chickens. should I vaccinate them or will they be ok? I heard not all chickens succumb to it only weaker ones.

You missed the information in the post above............ Vaccination for MAREK:S DISEASE must be done AT HATCH. The vaccine is a herpes virus, sold as a freeze dried tablet arrives in a foam box with ice pack, and is NOT Marek's virus. It causes development of immunity to Mareks in about 2 weeks, so chicks must be isolated that long to be safe. You can purchase chicks from most Hatcheries vaccinated at hatch, but must pay extra 15cents or so, when ordered. Then, they must have that 2 weeks separation from other chickens upon arrival..
So, IF your cockerel did have Marek's, your hen is already exposed and is NOT a newly hatched chick--so too late for vaccination.. Sudden death at any age is only a guess for Marek's. Classic symptoms are slow (sometimes fast) paralysis--no pain, but gradual helplessness..

My 12 week old Ameraucana cockerel passed away yesterday from what I now believe was Mareks...he was eating a lot, had greenish poop, and then all of a sudden collapsed yesterday and could not be nursed back to health. I am scared now that his cage mate has been exposed and possibly the rest of our chickens. should I vaccinate them or will they be ok? I heard not all chickens succumb to it only weaker ones.
You would have to have the bird tested to know for sure. In my experience, Marek's birds do not eat a lot right before they die. Whatever it was the took him, your other chickens have already been exposed and it is too late to "vaccinate" or take other precautions for them.

When I have had roosters that died from Marek's, almost all of them were lethargic for 1 - 2 days. They also had pale or purple/gray combs from poor oxygenation in the blood. They did not eat, refused to roost, and died within 48 hours of showing signs of illness. The lab confirmed that they had Marek's tumors; that is the only way to confirm you have it.

Back
Top Bottom