not another- buckeye- think broke egg inside-PLEASE HELP

ladrholman

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Musquodoboit
i came home to find my buckeye ( 1 year)acting quiet. she is usually very active. i noted that she had a poopy bum and her abd was swollen. i saw stool in cloaca and found bits of egg in it. i tried her in a warm bath and rubbing the cloaca to try to stimulate voiding...she has passed some mucusy looking stool. i know she laid a few days ago, saw her in the box. she is obviously not feeling well. currently wrapped in a towel since she is wet and in my other arm.... no vets around that see chickens. some help please. i will give her water with vit and i have neosporin and tetracyclene. please help. this has been a really hard month.... i cant lose another.

Last edited:
also I noted a day or so ago that she was having normal stools. formed and colored right..... can it happen that fast???

She is currently in the shower stall on a blanket and eating some yogurt. I am waiting for our water to heat up for a bath. I will try the warm soapy bath for 30 minutes and massage to see if I can empty the oviduct. More help please......

Last edited:
I've seen that you should give her a warm bath with epsom salts. Also try giving her crushed up Tums for the calcium....when you bathe her let her sit for at least 30 minutes but be there - perhaps holding her so she won't get out or drown.

I just took her out of the bath. I have her wrapped in a warm blanket. She is feeling pretty awful. I was able to get e piece of the shell out. I hope she is able to pass the rest. I will try her with another bath later on. I think now she needs rest. She seems so sad. She is usually one of my most adventurous chickens. Last one to bed. Investigating everywhere. I need her to pull through. Been too hard a month as it is. Thanks SS.

I settled her into a blanket nest in one of the rooms. Will keep an eye on her. Not sure she would be up for another bath tonight. Will repeat in the morning if she hasn't passed the shell. Any other advise for antibiotics if she will drink in the morning?

hit.gif

she did not make the night. this is getting had to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom