Not as friendly as I’d hoped

Charisfage

Hatching
Sep 8, 2023
Hi all,

Firstly, love this website. Such good advice communicated in such a friendly way, has helped me through many a query here in the UK and now looks like it’s needed again 😂

First time chicken owner, I’ve got three BOs, had them since they where 4 days old now nearly 12 weeks old. Got them cos I thought they would be nice and friendly. They aren’t horrible but they don’t come looking for attention or like being touched/held as I’ve seen others have said theirs do. I have always handled them and spent time with them since I got them. One is a lot more confident than the others (not sure if she is a he but that’s a whole other conversation 😂🤦‍♀️) and will come to me and eat out my hand but that’s about it

Just wondering if there’s anything I could do help this or if it will change when they start Laying maybe? Or do I need to just accept I’ve just ended up with three skittish and shy chickens 😂

Thanks so much.

Welcome to the BYC community :frow

Youngsters will go through different stages and several juvenile moults until maturity. Right now at the age of 12 weeks they are moulting again which makes being touched rather painful as the pinfeathers hurt poking through their sensitive skin.

As a prey animal, most chickens don't like to be held, although some enjoy the occasional soft rub of their wattles or underneath their wings.

You can take a chair and just sit with them while talking in a calm and soft manner. Some might jump up on your lap or sit underneath your chair thus showing that they like to be near you.

Maybe post some pictures of your birds so we can help to define their gender.

Last edited:
Sometimes certain birds are just all around skittish. But they are curious and food driven. Keep doing what your doing spending time with them and hand feeding.
Get down to their level. Try not to hover over or pick them up from above. (Most all predators come from above your chickens). Some of mine like their waddles and breast petted.
They'll come around. 😉

Age is a definite factor with your group, your birds are "teens" and are at their most skittish right now. They should settle down more once they reach point of lay. That said, truly friendly "pet" birds that want your attention are more of an outlier, and some may never get to that point no matter how much time you spend with them.

Back
Top Bottom