Not bubble foot!! He has frost bite :(

shay20

Shay's Flock of Fun
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
in the wild, Mass
Hello, ok I am new to bubble foot, this is my firts bird with it.
I did a lot of resaerch about it but i am not finding what he is really going through.

He was in a cooped area, but was in with an agressive rooster that would kick everyone when feeding time.

I saw no injurys at all on his foot.

he has been inside on a wire cage bottom for about a week now or a little more.

We have been giveing him Bayer baby asprin 1 a day, and i just started to soak his foot.

i examined his foot today, and it looks really bad, at firts i said oh it is going down,

well i think i am wrong, it looks like he lost the use of his toes, his toe nails have blood lines right to the tip of his nails, and looks died, when i move his toes it stays where i put it.

and it looks as if the swellen is going up his leg, it is very hot.

we punch a whole nothing came out just a tiny bit of blood.
it looks as if it has already cracked right where his toes comes from the foot.

any other suggestions please? he is a very healthy bird other than that.

today we put clear nonsting iodine all over his foot and bandaged it up.

Ok i took a couple of pics, his foot is dead!!!
hit.gif
What do i do??

WHAT DO I DO? We wont cull him, any suggestions on amputateing the leg?

The foot on the left is the foot that is swollen and now dead. see the difference? this is the front of his feet.
13887_picture_216.jpg

this is the back of his feet.
13887_picture_214.jpg

this is the bottom of the bad foot, see how dark that part is, that part smells rotten , no blood no nothing.
13887_picture_215.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that si sgreat info, but this one it is not at the bottom of his foot anymore.

I am going to try to take pics later, it will be hard becouse my camara is not that good.

I would cover the bottom of the cage with cardboard instead of leaving him on wire. Wire seems to make problems with their feet.

Last edited:
Follow the site Bamtimna gave you. On the top of the foot or the bottom doesn't make a difference. If the leg is now getting swollen and red and hot he has a very bad infection. Putting a hole in the infection will not work. You have to follow all of the instructions about bumblefoot. I'm afraid that if he is not helped by tomorrow he is unfortunatly going to die.

Thanks guys, i will follow thoses steps tonight, i hope i can find his wound, becouse when i looked i could not find anything like that.
th.gif

I added some pics of his foot, please tell me how to deal with this, i do not cull.
so if i can ampitate please tell me if it would work or not.
sad.png

The bump on the top of his foot looks like bumblefoot to me. I would not attempt an amputation yourself. I think you would be better keeping him away from the other birds, inside a dog kennel and in the house. His foot will drop off on its own. It might take a few weeks. You could give him antibiotics in the mean time. I used tetracycline but it depends on the bacteria. You do need to dig out the bumble foot though. Maybe that caused a blockage with the blood supply? Good luck! Terri O

Back
Top Bottom