Not counting your chickens before they hatch can be very bad!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by undergroundchickens, Sep 20, 2010.

1. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I was only going to get 3 or 4 chickens for fresh eggs in the back yard. I swear that was all! After reading up on chicks and how you often get a roo or one or two die unexpectedly I decided to get 6 chicks totally expecting to loose two or three. Somehow all my chicks grew up healthy and strong and all pullets. I figure that was ok. I really liked their personalities and having them as pets. What is one or two more chickens, right? [​IMG]

Due to this very addicting forum and all its [​IMG] eye candy I started to long for those beautiful blue [​IMG] eggs. I hoped one of my EE's would supply them. They disappointed me when they both laid greenish/khaki eggs. [​IMG]

Well I still needed a blue egg layer! One more won't hurt right? Well, we all know you can't just get one chick for several reasons. I think I can pack two more birds in if I add some more roosting space in the coop. They free range most of the day and also have a nice run to hang out in. They shouldn't be crowded.

*Problem* It is impossible to purchase just 2 sexed day old Ameraucana pullets shipped to your door in the fall. I could hatch some though! Got a bator ordered.

After a long search I found some hatching eggs, but upon ordering the eggs, somehow my fingers clicked on a few FBCM eggs as well. Not sure how that happened![​IMG] Out of those 11 eggs I am down to 4 still in the bator (lock down tomorrow night). I have totally convinced myself that none of these 4 eggs will hatch and if they do they will be roos or die so what do I go and do? I purchase more eggs to hatch. Supposed to get here this weekend.[​IMG]

I won't even mention that I haven't a place to keep them just yet. My original coop is only designed to hold 6 1/2 birds square foot wise. I have been looking over plans to build me a little a frame tractor to keep them in if they hatch. That would be two coops and a lot more birds than I had planned on. What am I thinking? I only wanted a few birds for fresh eggs! What went wrong? [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nothing went wrong. This is called "chicken math." You seem to have a real flair for it - congratulations!!

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    They move around so darn fast it is hard to count them after they hatch
    LOL
    Caroline

4. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh its okay i wanted some nice fresh eggs from a couple nice hens i now have 15 hens and lets see...1....2....0 Eggs a week!!!

5. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    I am having the same problem. The more I look at this site, the more chickens I want! So far I haven't caved but I've come close a couple of times. I did get one blue egg layer and one beautiful olive green layer. I'm in love with those eggs. Its becoming an obsession!

6. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    You are just a victim of chicken math! This is the perfect place to share your feelings about your addiction, as there are many addicts here. I think "12-step" to many of us must mean, "only 12 more?"

7. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    Chicken math almost got me in some big trouble! I ordered buckeye chicks on Eggbid. My daughter didn't think I was going to win, so she bid on some buckeye chicks. We won both bids for a total of 50 chicks! My coop is 10x12 = 30 birds. Fortunately for us, I was able to cancel my order and the seller only sent 12 chicks on her order and unfortunately only one survived the trip! I currently have 26 birds and I'm trying to be good and not order anymore! LOL

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    you havent done bad I started in may with 2 RIR's that I got for Mothers day complete with a coop by DH built for me. Well ha d to have more cause we have a big family 2 wont supply enough eggs so go to an auction get 6 more RIR's. Then wanted different kinds so went to a near by farm got 6 Barred Rocks. 5 ended up being roos so went and got 2 more a Black Australorp and a BR. both roos. Rehomed all roos but 2 that we kept. So needed more pullets for the roos ordered 10 from Ideal 9 DOA the last died 3 days later had to have the last on some buddies so went to another farm got 7 one roo that will be going to his new home in about 3 weeks. order hatching eggs 6 of them 3 were broke in transit 1 cracked at day 3 and the other 2 didnt do anything so off to another farm to get 6 more chicks the guy threw in 3 barnyard mixes. One of those is a roo so I have to find a home for a 4-5 week old Delaware Roo. Go get 2 dozen RIR hatching eggs and for an experiment threw in a dozen I got from an Amish grocery store and 1 of my neighbors pullet EE egg. Just set them yesterday. So here I sit with 8 RIR's 26 weeks 3 Barred Rocks 14 weeks 2 are roos. 3 Black Australorps age 7 weeks and 4 weeks 1 a roo
    I almost forgot 2 naked necks 9 weeks 3 mixes 7 weeks 3 more barred rocks 4 weeks 1 more RIR 4 weeks 1 Delaware roo 4 weeks and 3 barnyard mixes I think silkie bantam mixes 3 weeks and 3 dozen eggs in he bator. Got 4 coops. One the reds are in need to add on to it to andd the older BR one that the older BR are in now DH just built a new coop today for my 7 and 9 week olds a baby coop that the 4 week olds will go into soon and the 3 week olds still in the brooder. So chicken math is 28 that i still have 8 that were rehomed 10 that died and 3 dozen still to hatch. [​IMG]

9. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:[​IMG]

At least we are all good at some type of math.

10. TumbleweedChick

TumbleweedChick New Egg

Apr 21, 2010
    Oregon
    I too was "just" going to get 6...then 8...then 12, NO MORE!!! Well, now I'm up to 42 and am getting almost a dozen eggs a day with about 20+ of the pullets getting ready to lay in the next couple of weeks:p

I LIKE CHICKEN MATH!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by