Not eating and is all bones.

Thank you for the information! We live in MN.. so keeping the bird chilled will not be a problem! I might have to assess her as the day/ weekend goes on and decide at that point. I will definitely get a necropsy done and will let you know the results once I get them. I agree it’s good to know for peace of mind and if another one has the same symptoms it may help me quicker with the treatment options.

Check inside her mouth to see if there is a white or yellow build up. That would indicate trichomanosis. If so you need to treat ASAP. Message me and I will give you treatment suggestions.
The fact that her poop is green is an indication that she has no food in her system and or that her liver is malfunctioning. To keep her alive just a bit longer add sugar and some salt to her water. And if you are near a store grab some pedialyte or equivelant, the kind with no flavor and mix that about 50 50 with the sugar/salt water. Add a few drops of veggie oil to the mix as well in case there is some bloakage in her system. The fat won't hurt her at all!!! You may have to use a dropper and give it to her by mouth if she isn't drinking it on her own.
The next thing to check is to check for mites and or poultry lice. Sometimes to see these you need to give them a bath in warm water and look under the feathers. If she has these you probably need to dip her in a mix of warm water with a glug of permectin ( do not confuse with pyrethrum!!) or buy some sevin dust for plants and give her a good coating of it. Careful not to stir up too much dust!
There are several things that can cause this sort of thing. A liver malfunction, a heart problem, viruses, bacterial infections, a blockage in the trachea, etc etc. If the cause isn't apparent then you just have to start from stabilizing her by giving her some energy to function on then eliminate one thing at a time.
In the event of a fatty liver or heart problems you can't tell for sure and there is really nothing you can do to save her.
If a chicken is sick you need to keep her warm. Avoid dairy products.
Although sometimes the bacteria in things like yogurt help the digestive system, chickens do not digest diary products; they don't have the enzymes present to break them down properly, and it can further cause additional problems.
Let me know what you find if anything. If she starts eating again offer her some softly scrambled egg with some water added so they are more fluid to begin with.

She’s still alive! I bought some unflavored Pedialyte and did a 50/50 ratio with water. She drank some but not a lot. She ate maybe a 1/4 slice of bread and a few strands of shredded lettuce. I checked her mouth and there is no yellow or white spots. The inside of her mouth is a pale pink. I checked for mites and lice and she doesn’t have any. What else could it be?

Back
Top Bottom