Not eating and is all bones.

We don’t have any poisonous plants and I don’t think there are any screw or nails etc laying around. The only other thing I can think of is about two weeks ago we ended up having some warmer weather and rain which melted some of the snow and they ended up having some standing water in their outside run.. I’m sure she drank that and it has the run off of their run.. although we try to keep it clean as much as possible, it’s almost impossible to get every speck of chicken poop. Could that cause any of her symptoms?

I wish I had a vet near me that treated chickens! Would it be beneficial if I let her be by the other chickens or not since I don’t know what it is? Just wondering since she’s been alone without her siblings for almost two weeks.. could they get depressed and act like this?

I would put her back inside the coop with others. Be prepared to put her in a wire dog crate, since they may try to hurt her. That will also make it easier to feed her separately and know how much she is eating. Spend some time with them to watch what they do. It might even be better to spend several days bringing her out there, and supervising some free ranging time. I don’t know your location or how cold it is, but that may also affect how quickly she can go back. If she is not eating, or drinking, she may just need visits everyday, and kept inside with you. It isn’t possible to save a chicken with a bad problem, such as cancer or some virus that causes wasting away. You could try an antibiotic on her, but hard to know if that would help or not. You could learn to tube feed her 2-3 times a day to get some food into her. That might help.

I tried to tube feed her yesterday and for being sick she sure does still have some spunk in her. I didn’t get too far and will have to have my daughter help me when she gets home today. I like the idea of visits! It’s a bit cold here so I don’t think I can leave her out all day. Thank you everyone for your advice and help on this! 😘

Back
Top Bottom