Not eating, drinking excessive, vomiting? Lethargy

flowerchick2

Chirping
Mar 12, 2018
Perth Australia
1 year old silver laced Wyandotte, she has been broody then stopped and was well for a bout a week in between, then she stopped eating and looked lethargic, seperated to keep and eye on and started giving amprolium oral drench 2ml .. but no sign of improvement.today when I picked her up to give another dose, she vomited all that water very stinky back out as I held her (a lot of water) waited till it was all done and switched to a stronger cocci med I had in fridge. Not eating anything I offer even mealworms, yoghurt, boiled crushed eggs.
I haven't had this before.. any suggestions?

1 year old silver laced Wyandotte, she has been broody then stopped and was well for a bout a week in between, then she stopped eating and looked lethargic, seperated to keep and eye on and started giving amprolium oral drench 2ml .. but no sign of improvement.today when I picked her up to give another dose, she vomited all that water very stinky back out as I held her (a lot of water) waited till it was all done and switched to a stronger cocci med I had in fridge. Not eating anything I offer even mealworms, yoghurt, boiled crushed eggs.
I haven't had this before.. any suggestions?
Sounds like she has a crop issue. Sour crop if what came out was stinky.
Do you have a photo of the Amprolium you are using?

Amprolium will treat Coccidiosis, but has no anti-fungal/yeast properties and is not an antibiotic.

Read the 2 articles linked below - try to determine which type of crop issue that she may have and let us know. Photos of the hen and her poop may also be helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

I agree she likely has a crop problem. If she starved herself while broody, she could have slowed down her crop. I have had luck treating a sour or doughy crop with clotrimazole vaginal cream. Also, she is likely undernourished if she starved herself. I would start by trying to entice her with some foods that don’t feed yeast, like meat and finely chopped kale or make a wet mash or slurry with feed and water.

Thank you for the reply. Attached images. What came out was mostly water and but think because when I grabbed her she got abit squished but yes it did smell.. she just keeps drinking drinking.. is not at all enticed by any food..
Crop seemed empty when we picked her up yesterday and also today after the water came out.
I don't see much change with the cocci meds so I will try the antifungal
I have the following creams at home
Cclonea antifungal clomitrazole 10mg
Hydrozole hydrocortisone with clomitrazole 1%
Any good?

Attachments

• IMG_20191209_105421.jpg
    IMG_20191209_105421.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20191210_134703.jpg
    IMG_20191210_134703.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20191210_134600.jpg
    IMG_20191210_134600.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20191210_134631.jpg
    IMG_20191210_134631.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thanks, yes that's why I looked through med cabinet. Started giving her first dose in late arvo and again when I picked her up all the water she had been drinking came up again....so I continued massaging a bit figuring it can't hurt and might three loosen doskmethimg..i will give the 1mm cream with oil three times a day.
Still haven't eaten anything.. how long is it ok for her not to eat? Should I mush up some food and give with syringe?

Does the crop feel hard? Are you feeling anything in the crop besides fluid and/or air?
If the crop is sour, then you don't want to massage. Give the cream 2 times a day. Let her have water. I would withhold food for a day. See if the crop empties.

Sometimes there's an underlying condition in addition to the crop issue. Does this girl have any swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen (has she been laying eggs consistently)?

Oh ok,
I will stop massaging.. it said in that article to massage only in morning.
Update
Found this think in cage, look like it's the blockage.. grasses in ball.. (next to the dried yoghurt she did not touch)
IMG_20191211_092406.jpg

The crop feels soft and watery, when I pick her up to give her medicine she vomits everytime stinky water..
She was a good layer before she went broody, then has been off for a week before this started.. no eggs inbetween ..
She has not eaten the last two days.. but this morning I gave her a crumble mash with water and he had some and mealworms and she ate them. First food in 2 days.
She still drinks and drinks.. about a honey pot container of water a day.

She ate well yesterday. This morning I felt the crop and it did feel more normal not so huge and full of water. Have been giving coconut oil with the cream in order to suck that into syringe. She seems better or not so lethargic walking around cage looking .. drinking less today too.still to see a normal pop but it's looking like there is some brown in her watery pop today.. so a small improvement. Also she didn't vomit this morning when I gave her medicine.
Made her a porridge with yoghurt and a boiled egg..
which she is eating.
How long to continue with the antifungal cream?

Back
Top Bottom