Not eating enough because picky? Food & Poo Questions. (attached photo!!)

B-Nicole91

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2022
My peachick is about 4 days old, and likes cooked egg, but doesn't like starter feed. I can sometimes get it to eat if I moisten the egg and put starter feed on it but its not as effective. I feel it isn't eating enough. maybe a teaspoon a couple times a day. What can I do to get it to eat more. It was a late bloomer chick, as all the others had hatched before this one.

I have Gamebird starter complete crumbles w/ 24% protein and a mealworm blend.

Info on poops: So there is usually some white and some green surrounded by water. pictures included, Also the vent is clear.

Also, it seems to be in good health, active, starting to fly, was wobbly the first day or so but is fully on its feet and running around. I truly hope its nothing and I'm just worried for nothing but if there's something I can do, please let me know. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20220801_023155.jpg
    20220801_023155.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220801_033801.jpg
    20220801_033801.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 3
My peachick is about 4 days old, and likes cooked egg, but doesn't like starter feed. I can sometimes get it to eat if I moisten the egg and put starter feed on it but its not as effective. I feel it isn't eating enough. maybe a teaspoon a couple times a day. What can I do to get it to eat more. It was a late bloomer chick, as all the others had hatched before this one.

I have Gamebird starter complete crumbles w/ 24% protein and a mealworm blend.

Info on poops: So there is usually some white and some green surrounded by water. pictures included, Also the vent is clear.

Also, it seems to be in good health, active, starting to fly, was wobbly the first day or so but is fully on its feet and running around. I truly hope its nothing and I'm just worried for nothing but if there's something I can do, please let me know. Thank you.
When I had peachicks last year I found them slow to start eating very much and then it ramped up gradually.

Have you tried making a wet mash with your starter feed? Just mix it up with some water so it's mushy. You can mix your cooked egg in with it and maybe a probiotic as well if you like.

When I had peachicks last year I found them slow to start eating very much and then it ramped up gradually.

Have you tried making a wet mash with your starter feed? Just mix it up with some water so it's mushy. You can mix your cooked egg in with it and maybe a probiotic as well if you like.
Thank you, I have tried a mash of just the starter food and it didn't care for it, but I haven't tried adding the egg, so I will try that in the morning. Also where might I get a probiotic?

Thank you, I have tried a mash of just the starter food and it didn't care for it, but I haven't tried adding the egg, so I will try that in the morning. Also where might I get a probiotic?
I'm not sure where you are so I don't know.

I'm in the EU and I have two products. I buy both of them from online shops in Germany. If you're in the EU you can google them and you should find shops that will deliver to you.

One is called Ac-i-Prim and it's just pure lactobacillus for birds. That's the best thing for general gut health as a preventative and also for after an antibiotic.

The other is called Ida Plus and contains probiotics, electrolytes and some micro-nutrients. That one is good for when a bird is lethargic and not eating because it gives them a bit of energy as well. It's also good for getting chicks off to a good start in the early days.

I actually also have another product that I bought here locally but it's not as good. I really find the German shops to be the best and I buy a lot of my poultry products in general from there.

I would have no idea about outside of the EU.

Actually, I've just remembered that Kaytee Baby Bird food also has a probiotic in it. I know that is available in many countries. If you can't find a pure probiotic product, that might be a good option. I really only use it for sick birds but it is great for that. I'd recommend having some of it on hand anyway. I bought the largest bag and keep it in the freezer.

I'm not sure where you are so I don't know.

I'm in the EU and I have two products. I buy both of them from online shops in Germany. If you're in the EU you can google them and you should find shops that will deliver to you.

One is called Ac-i-Prim and it's just pure lactobacillus for birds. That's the best thing for general gut health as a preventative and also for after an antibiotic.

The other is called Ida Plus and contains probiotics, electrolytes and some micro-nutrients. That one is good for when a bird is lethargic and not eating because it gives them a bit of energy as well. It's also good for getting chicks off to a good start in the early days.

I actually also have another product that I bought here locally but it's not as good. I really find the German shops to be the best and I buy a lot of my poultry products in general from there.

I would have no idea about outside of the EU.
I'm in the U.S, but I will definitely do some research. Thank you. Its a good starting point, and I'm completely new at having a peachick or any bird species for that matter.

We use a food chopper and put a little hard-boiled egg in with the crumbles for a top dressing they can't refuse. Chicks don't eat a lot the first few days but it should ramp by week's end.
Okay, thank you. Its good to hear its just me worried and not something wrong with the chick. Yes, this peachick love love loves a cooked egg. :D🦚

As long as there are no internal issues with the chick when it hatches and they are not chilled or overheated afterward they are pretty quick to develop. They are still living off of their yolk for the first day or two. They will peck at food but they are not eating much yet. They will increase their intake every day until they are fully developed. One of the best ways to know if a chick is sick or having problems is to weigh it every day, if the weight goes down there is potentially a problem. A caveat is that the weight will go down the first day or two as it uses up the yolk but after that, it should only increase.

If you do want to track their weight, be sure to weigh them at the same time every day because their weights can vary depending on how much they have eaten and when they have pooed etc, especially when they are little. If you can get to them first thing in the morning before there is any food in their crops, that would be ideal. Otherwise, last thing before bed is good.

Back
Top Bottom