1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not from MY flock LOL

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AFChick, Jul 31, 2013.

1. AFChick

AFChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Central NC
    Long story short- I hatched Brahma chicks from shipped eggs (2 batches different breeders) and this hatched out of one of them... both breeders are clueless as to where it came from ... ie: "not from my flock" [​IMG]

Annnyway it IS from one of their flocks because that's all that I incubated during that time frame- period (my flock included) and they have been kept exclusively together since hatch.

SO here "she" is in all her penciled feather, single combed, clean- shanked glory- I give you Cera Cydal

Approx 11 weeks

[​IMG]

PLEASE guess away LOL

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    It looks like a EE/Dark Brahma

3. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    She's cute but not 100% Brahma because she's missing the feathered feet. How odd though!

4. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Did either breeder have Silver Sussex?

5. AFChick

Aug 25, 2011
    Central NC

Good guess

I received this about an hour ago

".... That is a project silver sussex pullet that should be here in my project pen. Your Brahma eggs were accidentally mixed up by my son with the eggs that I had received/purchased and had out on the packing table.when he was packing the shipments. That explains why I had such a bad hatch and only had 3 silver sussex roos hatch out with that hatch. If you'll kindly ship her back to me I'll send you another 3 - 5 brahma eggs for your trouble when I get enough gathered but I only have one pullet laying right now Now I need to track down where the rest of my babies were shipped to ...."

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Well, dang! Are going to ship her back?

7. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    I have know clue what she is but maybe part Brahma?Whatever she is she sure is a Beauty![​IMG]

8. AFChick

Aug 25, 2011
    Central NC
    I'm not even sure what the ethical thing for me to do is at this point [​IMG]

I suppose if she wants to send the box and pay for the shipping- I wish she would have checked out the photos I sent her when Cera was younger instead of saying that there was no way it was from her flock and that it was impossible for me to have received anything other than the brahma eggs I purchased .

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That is a stumper, isn't it? How far would the bird be shipped? I'd think shipping would be quite hard on her at this age, all by herself. I know folks ship older birds but it's always seemed iffy to me after they're past that day-old stage........

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Well, in my opinion, since you named her you get to keep her. Also, shipping her at this age might kill her. The breeder was at fault. She'll have to accept the loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by