Not getting any eggs after 4 months

6:45 AM Sunrise in Dyersburg, TN
6:55 PM
Sunset in Dyersburg, TN

I think you need to add lighting to your coop.... 12 hours doesn't cut it from what I have read.... AND adding lighting does no harm to the chickens.....

My chickens weren't laying either.... 16 days ago I added lighting, on a timer, and they get 15-16 hours of daylight now....

Today I got the first egg.... looks like things may be picking up....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/922732/adding-lights-to-the-coop-and-run-what-i-did

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  • DaveOmak
  • chilln_peeps.v3623572916.png
  • My Coop
First Egg..... WOWZER !!!!! , is it a pricey one... Now they amortize to a lower price....

16 days since I turned on the lights.... 9 days Layena layer feed.... plus roasted egg shells and oyster shells... and all the other stuff I give them...

Why lay in the nest box when the floor, at the far end of the coop, under the poop board, has such a great view of my coop mates and the morning sunrise..... Only time will tell if I need an "egg collecting door" down at that end... I am NOT crawling on my hands and knees to collect eggs every morning.....

That's an OK amount of coop space, plenty of range area...alot to search for hidden eggs tho.
..and they have calcium, are you giving them a decent a feed level of protein?

I'd keep them locked int he coop for a day or two, at least until mid afternoon, and see what you get in the nest.

How hot and humid are your summers there? Heat stress can absolutely cut down egg production. It's very odd so many of them would stop laying in May. In fall with the shorter days and onset of molt yes, but May is usually a high production time. Make sure they have plenty of deep shade and fans so they aren't overheating in the coop at night.

I would also deworm with something other then ivermectin products. Studies have shown it to be an ineffective wormer in poultry. Try something like Valbazen or liquid Safeguard for goats. Make sure you do a repeat dose in 10 days.

Cocci levels are also a concern when mixing young birds with older birds or any time you bring in new birds. It might not hurt to run a course of Corid to make sure your younger birds are not fighting off a case of coccidiosis.

I agree with aart that there shouldn't be a problem with a mixed flock. That's all I've ever had is mixed flocks and when raised together and given all the room they need I've never had an issue with different breeds in the same flock. If kept in too small a space then yes, there is a higher potential for problems but that pretty much applies to any overcrowded situation.

Back
Top Bottom