Not getting enough water from nipple waterer?

We have tried 2 different nipples and found the vertical hanging ones were easier to train the chickens to use. We kept the one that has a tiny cup under the nipple and they also learned to use that. But when we let them out every morning and set down fresh water in a few spots they always run to those and drink up. We see them using all three types of waterers but choose to keep the vertical nipples inside the run to help keep clean water available 24 hrs. We also have warmers in both nipple containers. Supplying fresh water multiple times a day has become quite a pain in the freezing temps so we are happy to have the heated buckets now!

Hubs made the waterers himself. The vertical nipples and five gallon bucket cost about $10 total to make. The heater was the expense. We are happy to share how he made it.

I have used just about all types of waterers. I do agree the nipple waterers keep the water the cleanest, by far. I had one of the vertical nipples ones, it dripped. Ok out in the run, but I'm sure without a heater, it would have frozen.

I tried the cup style HN, and may try it again next spring. I don't think I had it high enough to keep from getting stuff scratched into the little cups.

I removed those nipples and put in the regular HNs. My cockerel can't figure it out. The pullets did, but I think this guy has eye-beak coordination issues. I had to go back to an open waterer when I noticed he looked like he'd gotten skinnier, and I realized he wasn't drinking. I put the open waterer in, and he went over and tanked up.

For my own benefit, as much as theirs, I got a heated dog water bowl. $20. Then another $35 to get an exterior grade extension cord. So, not cheap. But I know they have water. I already had another of those heavy black rubber bowls from TSC, so I put some canning rings in the dog bowl and put the black bowl on those. Then I can take the black bowl inside every night and wash it out.

I always keep the waterer up off the ground, so it catches less dirt/scratched up stuff. Not none, just a lot less.

It should be around head height, so maybe lower it a bit? Also make sure that some girls aren't keeping others away from the water.

Oh, interesting. I thought it was supposed to be above their heads so their neck is extended upward slightly when drinking (to make it easier for them to swallow). Seems like every decision to be made has opposing opinions! 🙃

I have one, same design as yours but I had to remove it because my Easter eggers with shorter beaks than my Orpingtons weren’t getting enough water. It was late summer so it was very hot and they were only about 9 weeks, so I’m quite sure that may have had something to do with it. I found out by watching them, they were pecking at it but not hard enough I guess. Maybe they just needed more time and training with it, I don’t know, but because it was so hot I didn’t want to take any chances. Is it possible for you to get up close while they’re drinking to see how much is coming out? Hope it works out- I really love that type of waterer because it keeps the water clean longer. I’m constantly changing the water bowl!

My ladies always charge the waterer (horizontal nipples), every time it's changed. They also drink rainwater out of the places where it collects in the overturned plastic lawn chairs that double as seating for me when I'm "chillin' with my peeps" and hawk shelters.

I think they think that new might be better.

chicken dont not grow up drinking from tit! give them bowl to drink water! they

This is absolutely NOT true. I switched my chicks to horizontal nipples at about 4 weeks old and they're big, beautiful, healthy POL pullets now.

I could try to scrap up the money for a nipple waterer, but they're A) expensive, and B) I don't think that I could train my girls to use one.

I bought these nipples and made my own waterers with empty deli salad containers I got from work. You can use any sort of reasonably sturdy, plastic container to insert the nipples into. For example, if your family drinks Folgers coffee and buys the larger containers then save the next empty and you'll have a food-grade container with a convenient handle and an easy-use lid.

The trick to not cracking the container is to forget the drill attachment and hand-tighten the nipples. Then use a very small drill to put an air-bleed hole just below the lid and above the level you will fill it to. Otherwise using an air-tight container will create a vacuum and the chickens won't be able to get the water out.

I trained my chicks to use the nipples by first pecking at it with my finger and then by wedging a mealworm under the nipple. It didn't take long.

Oh, interesting. I thought it was supposed to be above their heads so their neck is extended upward slightly when drinking (to make it easier for them to swallow). Seems like every decision to be made has opposing opinions! 🙃
I've never heard that, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere! There are always many ways to do things, and as long as it's not harming the birds, I say go for it.

Could they just be doing this out of excitement?
They will partake when seeing any other water source, be it a dish, puddle, drops on the fence, snow banks. etc.

I top off water every morning and have marks on the waterers so I know about how much they drink. Found they drank just as much from the nipples as they did from the open waterer once they all learned to use the nipples. They drink less from the nipples if it's been raining.

One thing I'd suggest is that a HN waterers not hang but be set on some thing solid so it can't swing while they try to drink. Height is not to critical, anything lower than head height is good. I've had adult birds drink from chick height nipples.

I have one, same design as yours but I had to remove it because my Easter eggers with shorter beaks than my Orpingtons weren’t getting enough water. It was late summer so it was very hot and they were only about 9 weeks, so I’m quite sure that may have had something to do with it. I found out by watching them, they were pecking at it but not hard enough I guess. Maybe they just needed more time and training with it, I don’t know, but because it was so hot I didn’t want to take any chances. Is it possible for you to get up close while they’re drinking to see how much is coming out? Hope it works out- I really love that type of waterer because it keeps the water clean longer. I’m constantly changing the water bowl!

It's really hard to gauge how much water is coming out, as it only trickles out when they have their beak against the nipple. I've used this waterer exclusively since they've been outside (around 4 months) so I know for sure they are all getting water from it. I was just concerned that maybe it isn't enough because of how they charge the open watering can when I refill. I guess if they needed/wanted more water, they should be able to just spend more time at the nipple?

Hmm... The charging of the open water would make me wonder too. But I’d think after 4 months you’d notice signs of slight dehydration? I think you said you already know exactly how much water they’re drinking, maybe you can do a test, like what @aart did and put open water out to see if there’s a difference. I think I’ll do the same as well when the weather warms up a little.

Back
Top Bottom