Not getting enough water from nipple waterer?

I have used just about all types of waterers. I do agree the nipple waterers keep the water the cleanest, by far. I had one of the vertical nipples ones, it dripped. Ok out in the run, but I'm sure without a heater, it would have frozen.

I tried the cup style HN, and may try it again next spring. I don't think I had it high enough to keep from getting stuff scratched into the little cups.

I removed those nipples and put in the regular HNs. My cockerel can't figure it out. The pullets did, but I think this guy has eye-beak coordination issues. I had to go back to an open waterer when I noticed he looked like he'd gotten skinnier, and I realized he wasn't drinking. I put the open waterer in, and he went over and tanked up.

For my own benefit, as much as theirs, I got a heated dog water bowl. $20. Then another $35 to get an exterior grade extension cord. So, not cheap. But I know they have water. I already had another of those heavy black rubber bowls from TSC, so I put some canning rings in the dog bowl and put the black bowl on those. Then I can take the black bowl inside every night and wash it out.

I always keep the waterer up off the ground, so it catches less dirt/scratched up stuff. Not none, just a lot less.
I love this idea, just bought heated base and double wall metal waterer and it’s so hard to fill without getting water everywhere. i looked at dog bowl, going to switch to your idea

Does the waterer include a vacuum release hole above the level of the water?
I would say no. These are the 2 I have. Not sure I want to drill into the premier one, but would try on the other one.

673B90F1-9ABF-4E4F-967F-5AF9748D56A9.jpeg
C63BE0DB-43D9-47D0-941B-63242F25C862.jpeg

I have 2 heated nipple waters, paid $$$, my 15 chickens started not doing well, stopped laying, getting thin. When I open covered pen they run to find and eat snow. They were no where near drinking a pint a day. I switched to heated bases and gravity water, within 3 days they started to turn around. Been trying to use nipple waters since Dec. The nipple waters are working, I see them drinking from them. It just seems like they don’t get enough water.
I would say no. These are the 2 I have. Not sure I want to drill into the premier one, but would try on the other one.
I would say both those have vacuum release.

It takes time to 'train' them to use nipples.
You can't just put it out there and expect them to automatically be comfortable with using it.
It definitely takes more than one day.

Here's my thoughts on 'nipple training'.

First, it's good to know how much water your flock consumes 'normally', I top off water every morning and have marks on the waterers so I know about how much they drink.
found they drank just as much from the nipples as they did from the open waterer.

-Do not train to nipples during extreme temps when dehydration is more of a risk.

-Show them how with your finger(tho that might just train them to wait for your finger),
and/or manually grab them and push their head/beak onto the trigger(easier with chicks than adults).

-No other water source, best to 'train' during mild weather when dehydration is less of an immediate health risk. I do provide an open waterer late in day to make sure they don't go to roost dehydrated, especially young chicks.

It can take days or weeks to get them fully switched over, just takes observation, consistency, and patience.

View attachment 2976583View attachment 2976584

Commercially-made ones should have a vacuum release.

I asked because the directions for homemade waterers don't always include the instructions for it and I made that mistake with my first waterer.

I would say both those have vacuum release.

It takes time to 'train' them to use nipples.
You can't just put it out there and expect them to automatically be comfortable with using it.
The premier nipple water has been in there run for 1.5 years. I will try adding the vacuum release. These are my pets and I am back in the coop and run with them multiple times a day, even in below zero Temps. I am willing to do whatever they need. Last winter I used rubber bowls and removed ice and refilled through out the day. They also had the premier available at all times.

Last edited:
The premier nipple water has been in there run for 1.5 years. I will try adding the vacuum release. These are my pets and I am back in the coop with them multiple times a day, even in below zero Temps. I am willing to do whatever they need. Last winter I used rubber bowls and removed ice and refilled through out the day. They also had the premier available at all times.

Chickens will always drink from the easiest water source.

If you have both open and nipple waterers they will always drink from the open waterer.

The premier nipple water has been in there run for 1.5 years. I will try adding the vacuum release. These are my pets and I am back in the coop with them multiple times a day, even in below zero Temps. I am willing to do whatever they need. Last winter I used rubber bowls and removed ice and refilled through out the day. They also had the premier available at all times.
If you only use the rubber bowls, or any other waterer, in the winter they should be fine with the nipples.

Why do you think they are not getting enough water?
Is there snow on the ground?
When there's snow of the ground here, mine drink less water out of the waterer.
I know this as I roughly measure daily consumption by how much I have to add every morning.

Chickens will always drink from the easiest water source.

If you have both open and nipple waterers they will always drink from the open waterer.
I understand that, easy first. This winter I switched over to only the nipples waters. So it’s been months now.

I had the premier always available along with the gravity waters. The nipple premier was/is a backup water source. I suffer from debilitating migraines, having a backup water source gIves me peace of mind. So I will always keep nipple water filled and available.

If my issue is the vacuum seal, then I can switch back to nipple only sourc.

thank you for input 😉

Back
Top Bottom