Not getting enough water from nipple waterer?

That is my plan, too. Just make sure the bucket is food grade.

Remember to drill a small hole just under the bucket rim to prevent a vacuum.

0412211212a.jpg

Nipple installed on the X, vacuum release hole on the black dot (this is my brooder training waterer).

My waterer is an open well w a dome reservoir. I fill it every 5 days or so. I check the level daily to make sure it’s dropping. Today, I noticed that there was more and it wasn’t dropping so I pulled it out and cleaned it out and bleached the inside. Algae had built up inside the base, not visible from the outside.
So, bring it inside and make sure it’s clean enough to flow. FYI I had to leave an open dish of water available while my girls were learning to use the summer nipples. I did that all spring and summer. They aren’t the sharpest crayons in the box 😊

I would say no. These are the 2 I have. Not sure I want to drill into the premier one, but would try on the other one.

View attachment 2976583View attachment 2976584
I have these, and have not had a problem. But "We recommend placing this waterer in the coop and protected from wind. The water and nipples may freeze if exposed to direct wind."
I did see many complaints regarding this. Mine is in an enclosed area so don't have an issue.
My thought on the subject was perhaps there's partial clogging of nipples, as birds are dusty creatures.
I have guineas, not chickens; I have noticed they aren't drinking as much as they did before it got cold out.

Hi All!

I use a 2 gallon Farm Innovators nipple waterer for my 6 girls which they seem to use without issue. My concern is when I go to fill it up using a watering can, the girls always run over and take gulps of water out of the can (see photo!). This makes it seem like they are very thirsty and aren't getting enough water from their nipple waterer. I'd say they are going through a gallon of water every 3-4 days right now. Am I overreacting? Could they just be doing this out of excitement?

Thanks for your insights!
My 6 never figured out the nipple waterer. I stashed it in my hay loft when I decided they were going to die of thirst or stupidity or stubbornness and now (dead, cold winter) they have an electric dog dish for their water. In the warmer months, they have the old fashioned hanging type with the attached dish around the bottom.

I have these, and have not had a problem. But "We recommend placing this waterer in the coop and protected from wind. The water and nipples may freeze if exposed to direct wind."
I did see many complaints regarding this. Mine is in an enclosed area so don't have an issue.
My thought on the subject was perhaps there's partial clogging of nipples, as birds are dusty creatures.
I have guineas, not chickens; I have noticed they aren't drinking as much as they did before it got cold out.
Thank you, mine are in enclosed chicken run/pen. I check them to make sure they are always working. Silkies are struggling but I read they may have hard time seeing nipples with fluff. I have heated bases now. Had to do something they were going down hill. So much better now 😉

We use 3 types of waters.

The very small cup type nipple waterer inside the run and a chicken water dish with the top reservoir inside the coop, both available 24/7. Then a hanging bucket with vertical nipples (which I found to drip some) and bowls of water throughout their open space available all day. A heated dog bowl for the winter. The buckets with nipples are heated in the winter. The bowls are used the most.

This past summer we put in a ground level "water fountain" for our pups. Turns out the chickens like to drink from it too. They must prefer the "filtered" water. Hahaha

I use a 2 gallon Farm Innovators nipple waterer for my 6 girls which they seem to use without issue. My concern is when I go to fill it up using a watering can, the girls always run over and take gulps of water out of the can (see photo!). This makes it seem like they are very thirsty and aren't getting enough water from their nipple waterer. I'd say they are going through a gallon of water every 3-4 days right now. Am I overreacting? Could they just be doing this out of excitement?
the same experience here with nipple&cup vs open container. I don't think they are thirsty, they just enjoy it more from the open container for whatever reason - like if they were tasting wine.

I would say no. These are the 2 I have. Not sure I want to drill into the premier one, but would try on the other one.

View attachment 2976583
You can drill into the Premier one. I'd actually recommend it. It's very thick plastic so shouldn't be prone to cracking while drilling. A single small hole just under the rim (I put mine on the backside, above where the power cord connects) will do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom