Not hell bent on culling, but...

Fowl_Odor002

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Here
As I was 'splaining to my wife; I'm not hell bent on culling the flock, but as responsible owners it is our duty to protect the healthy chickens from infection.
We have 5 city chickens in our backyard and one of my New Hampshire reds has gotten a serious case of Montezuma's Revenge; and she's not getting any better.

I made the decision to cull her as means of disease control.
My wife is protesting and won't help out- "They're your chickens, you do it!"
If only I knew how to boil some water.

What says you?

welcome-byc.gif
I had to do this with a mixed breed rooster he was delicious! Some of my chickens get the runs but I believe it's because they are drinking allot of water because it's so hot. I have one hen who has stoped laying so she is next on the list but I will wait till my younger hens start laying firts, she is a big bird and will make good chicken parm
droolin.gif
if you do decide to cull her I suggest the broomstick method, it's quick and painless for the bird also less messy here is how it's done hope this helps!

have you tried oats? I would try that to see if it clears up in two days. If not, then check with your feed store about meds, or an avian vet. YOu should have one closeby.
Let us know how it's going. But if you treat, treat whole flock. Some meds are so you can't use the eggs, so ask.
I don't think this is a dire thing for poor chickey. Get her well and everyone will be happier!
smile.png

Here is my two cents.
Step 1, Fill a large pot with water until 2 inches from the top.
Step 2, Set pot on stove burner.
Step 3, Turn dial half way from "Off" to "High".
Step 4, Cull and dress chicken.
By the time you get done, the water should be all nice and boiled.
Congrats! You've just boiled water.
celebrate.gif

LoL Couldn't resist.
As for your situation, Well, in my house my hubby is the softy and I'm the woman of action. Sadly, he cant boil water either. It sounds like you've tried a bit to see the hen well, as you state shes been ill a week. I wont comment on that, since you know your flock better than anyone else, and if shes sick and due culling, well your the boss. Sounds like its BBQ time. Best of luck.

If you don't want to kill her, you might try medicating her.

I don't think you have a disease issue. You have a management issue. If the bird has had diarrhea for several days, all the rest of your birds have been exposed already, so it is a bit late to remove her from the flock.

Back
Top Bottom