Not Laying Eggs! 8 month old Guinea fowl!

Zihad

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2019
Bangladesh
Hello!
I started with 2 Guinea fowls and 2 Turkeys 7 months back. All the keets were 1 month old. The turkey hen laid 24 eggs and is sitting on them for about 20 days.
But there is no sign of the guineas laying any eggs. They are 8 months old. I heard the "Buck-wheat" sound many times. So there is a female for sure. What can I do?

I added two new guineas to the flock 2 days ago. I'm not so sure about their gender. Give me some advice about them as well.

Okay in short, I'm here for two advices about-
1. My guineas not laying eggs
2. To determine the gender of my guineas.

Thanks in advance. :)

Here are pictures of my old Guineas

IMG_20190408_141158 (2).jpg IMG_20190408_141111.jpg IMG_20190408_173920.jpg IMG_20190408_173939.jpg

Picture of my new Guineas
IMG_20190408_141320 (2).jpg

Here are videos of my old and new guineas

Hello!
I started with 2 Guinea fowls and 2 Turkeys 7 months back. All the keets were 1 month old. The turkey hen laid 24 eggs and is sitting on them for about 20 days.
But there is no sign of the guineas laying any eggs. They are 8 months old. I heard the "Buck-wheat" sound many times. So there is a female for sure. What can I do?

I added two new guineas to the flock 2 days ago. I'm not so sure about their gender. Give me some advice about them as well.

Okay in short, I'm here for two advices about-
1. My guineas not laying eggs
2. To determine the gender of my guineas.

Thanks in advance. :)

Here are pictures of my old Guineas

View attachment 1739218 View attachment 1739219 View attachment 1739220 View attachment 1739221

Picture of my new Guineas
View attachment 1739226

Here are videos of my old and new guineas
It is not surprising that your guinea hen has not started laying yet. I expect my hens to start laying sometime later this month. Mine tend to lay a little later each year and everything here is running late this year.

It is not surprising that your guinea hen has not started laying yet. I expect my hens to start laying sometime later this month. Mine tend to lay a little later each year and everything here is running late this year.
How old are yours? At what age did they start to lay?
I heard they start laying around spring.. .but it's already summer!
And another thing is, there is no sexual activity...
Anyway...thanks for your comforting reply... :)

How old are yours? At what age did they start to lay?
I heard they start laying around spring.. .but it's already summer!
And another thing is, there is no sexual activity...
Anyway...thanks for your comforting reply... :)
Mine are 3 to 6 years old. They started laying in late spring following the year they were hatched.

You appear to be in the southern hemisphere which means that yours would be nearing the end of laying season if they were laying. It is no longer breeding season where you are so I would not expect to see breeding activity until your next spring. I have read that some guineas do not take well to small confined spaces and that it can mess with their mating, fertility and laying. Of course, if you don't have a hen, there never will be any laying.

Guineas are very fast breeders so it is very easy to miss seeing them mate.

Mine are 3 to 6 years old. They started laying in late spring following the year they were hatched.

You appear to be in the southern hemisphere which means that yours would be nearing the end of laying season if they were laying. It is no longer breeding season where you are so I would not expect to see breeding activity until your next spring. I have read that some guineas do not take well to small confined spaces and that it can mess with their mating, fertility and laying. Of course, if you don't have a hen, there never will be any laying.

Guineas are very fast breeders so it is very easy to miss seeing them mate.

Can you please tell from the pictures and videos if there is any hen?

It is my experience that guineas cannot be accurately sexed from photos. They can be sexed from sounds but I did not hear a "buckwheat" in either of your videos. My opinion is that you only have males.
But I heard buckwheat sound many times! Can males make them?

But I heard buckwheat sound many times! Can males make them?
I did not hear a buckwheat in your videos. That does not mean that you have not heard them. I am aware of at least one person that claimed that their male was able to make the buckwheat sound. I have not had any of my males buckwheat.

I did not hear a buckwheat in your videos. That does not mean that you have not heard them. I am aware of at least one person that claimed that their male was able to make the buckwheat sound. I have not had any of my males buckwheat.
Oh...okay... Thanks for your reply :)

Back
Top Bottom