Not laying eggs?

MissNutmeg

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Jan 18, 2017
Middle Earth
My Coop
My Coop
So I have a flock of five hens and three pullets. I haven't been getting eggs from the hens for about a couple of months now, they are all about two. I'm just kinda wondering what makes them stop laying so abruptly and it's starting to become a bit annoying seeing no fresh organic eggs in the nesting boxes. Is there something I could do or give them to help promote egg laying again?

It's because around their second winter they start to molt. This happens to every bird. They lose their old feathers and grow in new ones to keep them warm and such because the old ones are usually pretty ragged by then. Feathers are made of 90% protein and the amino acids that make it up. They are using so much energy to grow those feathers in that their body doesn't have enough to produce eggs.

Some hens will go through a hard molt while others may have a light molt. Some will be back laying in a couple months while others might not start until February or so.

Having different breeds (they may molt at different times, mine do) and adding new pullets each year are ways to combat the lull in egg production. Some people also provide extra light to total 14 hours as the daylight starts diminishing for the season. Because the laying hormone is triggered by light. More light, more eggs... within the hens' genetic ability of course. That's not my choice, I just plan for the drop and them do what they do naturally. Expect the same from your pullets sometime next year.

Adding a little extra protein (if you feed layer) can help them recover a little quicker. Or starting to add light. Maybe sell of your older hens next season to make room for some more pullets. This is what I do every year, except for the ladies who make pet status.

Hope this helps at least with having some info at your disposal. :)

Ah I forgot to mention they all just went through a pretty fluffy molt last month, ugh I should have thought of that (oh and they are buff orpingtons)! Anyway I definitely consider putting a timed lighting mechanism in their coop see if this helps any. If not, well I guess there is nothing else to do but wait it out. :D

Back
Top Bottom