Not laying.....HELP!!!

I have a random question. I'm new to this group so I can't post my own thread. I got my pullets a few weeks ago and I'm not sure they are ready to lay yet. (Roughly 5 months old) I was given a 50 lb bag of starter feed. If I feel them this, will they still produce eggs? Or do I have to provide them with layer feed?
When they start to lay get some oyster shell to put out for them, in a separate container always available....
......the starter is fine long term as long as the layers have access to a good calcium source.

Thanks for the help!! Should I get oyster shell now? Or wait until i get my first egg?

When they start to lay get some oyster shell to put out for them, in a separate container always available....
......the starter is fine long term as long as the layers have access to a good calcium source.

I'm getting confused on the answers here (as I'm trying to follow because we too have pullets who stopped laying.)
So, we only have 2 (1 Golden Laced Wyandotte and 1 Black Langshan).
They were laying and then became broody. Thanks to BYC I broke them of that habit - or so I thought.
They've been back to their pen for a week now but no eggs. I am assuming Broody and Molting are different habits that can stop
them from laying? I do see a lot of loose feathers in pen but they don't appear to be "naked".
Is this just something you wait out - molting? Note: Feed, water, accommodations are all the same - no changes with that.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Linda

Welcome! Birds do what they do, which can be very frustrating. This time of year hens will be molting, so poor egg production. Lighting is less, so unless you set up a light on a timer from 4am to 8am daily, egg production goes way down. Birds stressed for any reason will drop production. New environment, too many roosters, young pullets not in full production, older hens giving it up, predators visiting, anything that scares them. Mites, lice, or intestinal parasites. Chronic illnesses. So many possible issues! Try to relax, have good food out there, and give everybody time to settle in. Mary

Thank you for your response. So much to learn!
I just want them to be happy :)
Thanks for yoyr help!

Linda

Right now I've got 62 birds total, including eight extra cockerels, some older hens, and many pullets. The hens are molting, the pullets are stressed by the idiot cockerels, and yesterday I got FOUR eggs! Today twelve eggs. Not great, huh? This Saturday all those extra boys are leaving, along with a number of excess pullets. Life will settle down then. Also, they were all locked in the coop for a week, because of a (probable) fox attack, a missing pullet. More stress! Things will be better soon here, when molting is over, and all the pullets come in lay. Mary

Back
Top Bottom