Not laying.....HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redheadscheep, Aug 29, 2016.

1. redheadscheep

redheadscheep Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Mt Eden, KY
    I have 19 hens and 3 Roos. I'm lucky to get 2-3 eggs a day. They have plenty of water and room. I feed them 18% layer crumbles. Any suggestions on how to get my freeloaders to start producing??

2. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    How old are they? Are they free range or contained in a run?

3. redheadscheep

Jan 26, 2015
    Mt Eden, KY
    They are around 12 months. They have a large run and coop.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

We're going to need more information to try to help you.

what breeds do you have?

How much space do they have, specifically square feet?

had they been laying better and had a change, or have they never been very productive?

Anyone broody?

Recent changes in flock, weather, etc?

How's the stress in the coop? That's a good amount of birds and several roosters. Are the hens getting overmated? Bare backs, screaming and hiding or resistance to mating? Gang mating?

"Around 12 months"---more, or less? 18ish months is prime age for molting. Any signs of that?

Can you post some pics of the birds? Do they have parasite issues? Are feathers glossy, combs red and plump?

1 person likes this.
  5. redheadscheep

Jan 26, 2015
    Mt Eden, KY
    Sorry for the delay...have had some personal things come up. Here's your answers:

1. I have red sex links, Wyandottes, white leghorn, barred rock, a silkie and 2 other breeds that I can't remember. I got a good deal on a mix.

2. Coop is 144 sq ft and the run is 120 sq ft.

3. They have not been real productive at all. I have had them for 2 months. They were a complete group.

4. No one is broody that I can tell.

5. There are no bare backs and have not heard or seen any fighting.

6. They could possibly be more than 12 months. I'm not sure.

7. I have not seen any issues physically.

6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Were they all laying at one point in time because some chickens mature faster than other ones and it is normal for one chicken to take a break for a while

7. redheadscheep

Jan 26, 2015
    Mt Eden, KY
    Since I've had them, i have gotten a total of maybe 8 over the course of 2 weeks but they haven't laid an egg in the past 2 weeks.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    So you've only had them for 4 weeks?
    I'll bet they're older than 12 months and are getting ready to molt.
    Even if they are closer to 12 months with the move they may be going to molt anyway.

Ya just never know<shrugs> as @Blooie would say....'they're not pez dispensers"

9. thu2train

thu2train New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    I have a random question. I'm new to this group so I can't post my own thread. I got my pullets a few weeks ago and I'm not sure they are ready to lay yet. (Roughly 5 months old) I was given a 50 lb bag of starter feed. If I feel them this, will they still produce eggs? Or do I have to provide them with layer feed?

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pretty sure you may be dealing with a combination of different sources of stress. First, they are new to the environment and it takes time for them to settle in. Second, you are a bit short on run space, with just over 5 sq ft per bird. Generally you need twice that for flocks with just hens. Add 3 roosters, and it's way too small.
    Also, it is the time of year when production does start to slow down.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by