Not lockdown yet but chicks pipped...

The eggs could be starting to hatch early because the temps were to high during incubation and or being small eggs. Bantham eggs also hatch earlier than full size.
don’t candle and don’t assist yet.

What I would say is, next time you hatching any eggs, I would lower the temp. Usually, the cause of an early hatch is because of high temperatures. Get your thermometer calibrated or compare thermometers. My first ever hatch, I had quail do on day 18 and some hatched on day 15. Turned out the thermometer was 3-4 degrees high.

Don’t assist until at least 24 hours after pipping. If you try to early it will cause far more harm than good. After you get the turner out just take a deep breath and walk away for a few minutes if you have too. If they are pipping then they are alive and breathing. Not all the chicks will necessarily hatch on the same day.

I totally blew it once and forgot to go into lockdown. Time just got away from me. Anyways it didn't ruin my hatching! They should be ok if you are quick and gentle. You can still candle just be quick and get the humidity up. Good luck!

I've had this happen before :( I just turned off the turner and as soon as it was level and everyone hatched fine in the upright position lol. We went out of town for the night and came back the following evening with an incubator full of chicks!!

Thanks everyone!! My daughter and I washed up and got the turner out and eggs placed carefully on tray in about 70sec. Still getting peeping so I feel better. I'll post pics when and if I have babies
Good Job!!

Is this your first hatch?
Do you have some coconut oil or neosporin on hand to moisten membranes if needed?

Well I just woke up to a very lively chick. Fully hatched and loud little guy/girl. When I went to sleep there was 7 that pipped. I hope this one doesnt go too crazy telling the others around. Sure is a precious thing. This is my 1st chicken incubation but I've done ducks in the last winter months.

Ok so here is the 4 I have from over night. They are really knocking the other eggs around. I'm praying they havent disturbed the ones who has pipped already.

Attachments

• 20210403_075813.jpg
    20210403_075813.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210403_075809.jpg
    20210403_075809.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom