Not much of a shell on the egg

Chicadoo

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
North Oregon Coast
I had 12 chickens and one of these girls started laying an egg that the shell was so soft it breaks when you pick it up. All the other eggs are just fine. The feed store told me they needed oyster shells. I found it interesting that only one chicken (1 egg) would have a problem.
Another question: If your not running a rooster will you only get in my case 11 eggs? One will not lay???
Thanks

Most hens need the oyster shell if they can't get those nutrients while foraging. And yes each hen will be effected differently. Some need more than others. Some feed companies put stuff in it to help with that but I don't know who they are at the moment. As for a hen not laying if a rooster is not present, it can happen. But they all may still lay.

I don't have a roo for my girls. Last year when I only had 5 chickens I would get 5/5 days this year I have 7 chickens and so far I have only gotten 6/7. I know I will eventually get 7/7 it's just a matter of time. I don't think the # of eggs laid really matters on if you have a roo or not because chickens don't need a roo for them to lay.

You don't need a rooster for hens to lay eggs. I keep my roos seperate when I don't need fertilized eggs, and haven't noticed a difference in the number of eggs. Not all chickens will lay an egg a day.

Back
Top Bottom