not ready to sit

My hen has layed 9eggs and started sitting yesterday all day. I came home from work last night about 11 and she was roosting and the eggs were cold. Should i take them out and put them in the incubator. Any help would b great.

so my bourbon red sits,she has been on her neat now for about 7 days,i give her greens by her nest as she sits,and cause she is doing such a good job at sitting i put the mill worms close to her so she can have a treat while she does her job,
wee.gif
she is sitting on 18 eggs 1 black Spaniard, two royal palms the rest are hers,

Last edited:
My bourbon red has had 17 eggs for a few days now. Yesterday I observed her sitting on them for a few hours and then left them. She stayed off them for the entire night and then started sitting about 10 am today. Is this pattern normal or is this going to be a problem?

My bourbon red has had 17 eggs for a few days now. Yesterday I observed her sitting on them for a few hours and then left them. She stayed off them for the entire night and then started sitting about 10 am today. Is this pattern normal or is this going to be a problem?
I just watched that happen today. I would love to know the answer to that.

All I can say is that what mother nature lets turkey hens get away with will not work for me in the incubator. I have witnessed my hens sit on eggs during a freezing night (and leave the eggs unattended during the day time) apparently to keep them from freezing at least a week before the hens went broody. They had a very nice hatch.

A neighbor felt she had enough turkey chicks and didn't plan on letting any more hens set a nest. She discovered a hen on a nest and chased her off of the nest. After gathering the eggs to dispose of them she learned to her regret that the eggs were within a day of hatching and felt horrible when she discovered this by breaking an egg and finding a live chick.

She returned the eggs to the nest but the hen had already decided to roost for the night. The next day the hen returned to the nest and a day later had new poults.

The turkey hens apparently know what they can get away with. Don't try to duplicate their methods unless you want to experience failure.

Good luck.

She was on the them for about 6 hours today and now she is off and there are 18 eggs. I let her do her thing and we will see what happens.

I wish I had an answer. My hen has been laying since mid Feb, she gets up to 13 and I've been taking 1/2 away since she is small (Royal Palm) but she still isn't sitting. Wondering if she ever will get the urge. Also wondering if they are fertile since I only have 1 tom with her. I've never seen them mate.

Thank you all for these posts! I've been collecting turkey eggs and keeping them in the cool garage for a couple of weeks, turning them daily, on advice of some turkey keeping book. I couldn't understand why neither of my hens would go broody. Took them all out and put them together in the nest of choice and within two minutes, Hattie the blue slate was sitting on them, tucking them in and arranging them the way she wanted them.

From this point on, leaving the laying and sitting up to the turkeys!

i have don't pretty much the same i have seen my Jake ,do his business,a few time so i know she is fertile,i also have 1 black Spaniard,two royal palms total 18 eggs,she has sat now for 13 days, i tried to candle last night for first time as she sat an looked at me like what are you doing,get your hand out from under my butt,i only looked at about six mostly saw a big dark blob,to one side,some looked the same some looked a little different,so i just left her alone i don't think i will be candling them again since i don't want to disturb her,a couple more weeks i guess i know the out come i just hope all her sitting hasn't been for nothing,i wont be to awful sad if all don't make it,but i think she will,that's a lot of sitting for the poor girl

Back
Top Bottom