Not Really Sure Where to Put This...So....

gallopingfrog

Songster
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
Arizona
Hi there! I have been researching (and researching and researching) chickens and turkeys for a couple of weeks now. I have my coop plans drawn out and almost all of my information straight. This forum and website has been extremely helpful to me, so I thought I'd register.

However, I do have one question that I can't seem to get a straight answer for from anyone! I live in Arizona, where there does not appear to be any hatcheries that sell heritage turkeys (more specifically, Bourbon Reds). Since I will have to have them shipped, I looked into bringing animals across state lines, which pretty much stated that I had to have a seperate veterinary checkup for EVERY animal imported in. Turkeys have to be shipped in a minimum of 15....that's a lot of checkups - and I'm thinking about just ordering my chicks in as well! I've read several other things that stated an NPIP certificate will cover the whole issue of shipping across state lines....but then the hatchery I'm interested in buying from said that they could send a Polluroum Certificate. Can someone please, for the love of goats, give me some insight into the rules and laws of shipping across state lines???

Thank you!
smile.png

I'm not sure about your question, but how about just order turkey eggs and hatch them yourself. Some farms send a certicate with the eggs, probably
based on shipping laws for their state.

There is a state forum under "where am I where are you?" you could ask there about it under your state. There is also a state laws forum you could ask there. Sorry I'm no help other then hopefully pointing you there.

I could be wrong, but when you order from a hatchery they take care of any and all paperwork necessary.

I'm pretty sure that you are doing too much worrying. The hatcheries all take care of all that paperwork, that's what we pay them for.
Just order them up, and enjoy!
Of course, I haven't ordered turkeys, but I think they are treated the same.
All the major hatcheries have all the stuff you are worried about on file, I think the only state that is flakey about it is Va.?
Have fun!

Thank you for all the responses:

violetsky - I would do that except, since I'm just starting up, I think I want to wait on hatching my own until I get a handle on what it's like to take care of chicks without worrying about hatching them.

It seems I may be....errrrm....overplanning, per usual. I tend to get on a subject, research it dead, then worry about everything! So I'm going to just order, then deal with it later if the state smacks me on the hand. It's not like they make me get rid of the birds - they'll just make me get vet certs then! LOL

ChickenCanoe - Thank you so much for pointing me to Sandhill. I'm going to have to keep them in mind when I order for next spring. You're right - they have a HUGE selection...I think I kinda like the 15 super assortment turkey thing to find out which breed you might like best for next time!

Well, thank you for holding my hand and telling me to slowly step back from the ledge. I think I got that all out my system now. Bring on the chickens and turkeys!

wee.gif

welcome-byc.gif
. I agree, look in your state thread, but look for a breeder who has what breed you want. You'll get healthier birds, and no hassle over amounts or checkups, etc.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom