Not roosting

You should watch them as they roost. See who pecks who and who is last to get up and where they end up on the roost.
You may get a betting idea who is in the full pecking order and how they get to their 'spot' for the night. Then you can put the slacker up next to the last hen.

Aleo look for any injuries as to why she may not want to jump up ??

It has been raining for the last 3 days and difficult to see exactly what is the issue with the roosting HOWEVER it has changed 🤔 the original non roosting bird responded to the advice given here of going in the coop and placing the non roosting girl on the roost..that only took 3 nights to cure her BUT now I have another doing the same thing. I am not sure what I want to do with her....here's why...she is #8 on the pecking order and went broody or just stayed in the nest box after her breed sister died in the freeze in south Texas, she has acted odd and been grumpy, she seems at times to do things deliberately to irritate the rest of the flock so they peck her to put her back in her place. I have checked her for physical issues but she seems fine no mites, lice or any other issues she seems to do it on purpose for attention or who knows what. Her breed sister was her keeper and fought her battles for her so I'm not sure what to do now, she forages with the flock, lays eggs and doesn't stay in the nest box anymore just doesn't roost. A typical upper roost is 5 girls with 2 on the lower level roost and the non roosting girl in a different place each time I look by 10pm.

She is 15 months....she has been a bit odd after her breed sister died...I'm not real worried she forages and she lays eggs as best I can tell she doesn't stay in the coop like she used to. She is not roosting right now and as soon as the MONSOON stops in south Texas I will get back to placing her on the roost after dark.

Back
Top Bottom