Not sitting on eggs

susan83

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
My I have 5 hens and a rooster. Went out to check on them like we do every evening and found 1 egg in nest. No one sitting on it. This morning I go out to feed and water them and check for anymore eggs. I have 2 fake ones in there and couldn't find them so I dug around in the bedding and found another one plus my two fake ones buried in the bedding. Is this normal and why aren't they sitting on them. They are first time layers. Please help. Not sure what to do.

My I have 5 hens and a rooster. Went out to check on them like we do every evening and found 1 egg in nest. No one sitting on it. This morning I go out to feed and water them and check for anymore eggs. I have 2 fake ones in there and couldn't find them so I dug around in the bedding and found another one plus my two fake ones buried in the bedding. Is this normal and why aren't they sitting on them. They are first time layers. Please help. Not sure what to do.
Your hens will not sit on eggs unless they are broody, I have nine hens and each takes their turns laying the egg and then go back to the flock...I gather eggs a couple times a day and the only time I find a hen "siting" on the nest is when she is either laying an egg or has just laid an egg. As far as finding the eggs hidden in the nesting matieral, hens will scratch around to make a nest for themselves, sometimes they will dislodge or bury and egg, normal for new layers, my hens will usually keep the clutch togather and just add to.

Back
Top Bottom