Not slowing their role!

FLXCHIX

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
Naples, New York
My first winter with chickens and i was prepared for them to slow way down or even stop laying eggs, but they have barely missed a beat.(I’m not using any extra light). I thought their little bodies would take a break, but they are doing an egg-straordinary job!
This is contrary to everything I read, so just scratching my head. Thoughts?

This is exactly what I’m experiencing too! My chickens don’t have any extra light and are laying like mad, so it’s weird that everything I read doesn’t flow with what I’m going through right now lol! It doesn’t make sense.

This is exactly what I’m experiencing too! My chickens don’t have any extra light and are laying like mad, so it’s weird that everything I read doesn’t flow with what I’m going through right now lol! It doesn’t make sense.
Haha, I’m not complaining, but was actually looking forward to them slowing down, as it is just two of us with six chickens and I selfishly don’t want to keep giving away my eggs!! 🤣🤣

Mine have stopped for the winter. What breeds do you have and how old are they? Mine were born in April and stopped in laying in early December.

Ah- I see you have RIRs. I previously had one that slowed down, but did continue laying in the winter. My Barred Rocks, Australorps and Buff Orpington all took winter breaks.

Mine have stopped for the winter. What breeds do you have and how old are they? Mine were born in April and stopped in laying in early December.

Ah- I see you have RIRs. I previously had one that slowed down, but did continue laying in the winter. My Barred Rocks, Australorps and Buff Orpington all took winter breaks.
I have leghorns and Rhode Island reds. They were hatched June 11 of last year.

My first winter with chickens and i was prepared for them to slow way down or even stop laying eggs, but they have barely missed a beat.(I’m not using any extra light). I thought their little bodies would take a break, but they are doing an egg-straordinary job!
This is contrary to everything I read, so just scratching my head. Thoughts?
It is breed dependent, and age dependent.

The first winter, a high egg producer breed will often lay right through... even up here in my super dark winters.

Following years they slow down...

One of the high production breeds is of course Leghorns.

It is breed dependent, and age dependent.

The first winter, a high egg producer breed will often lay right through... even up here in my super dark winters.

Following years they slow down...

One of the high production breeds is of course Leghorns.
I was kinda thinking that. So, the first year is kinda like bonus eggs. 😊 thanks!

I was kinda thinking that. So, the first year is kinda like bonus eggs. 😊 thanks!
Yep, highest most impressive egg production goes on until their first huge molt at about 18 months of age.

This is why huge egg production houses get rid of all of the hens at their first big molt and replace them with pullets.

In their first year, pullets will lay straight through the winter. Mine started laying on Christmas Day! If you want them to keep laying next winter, that is when you need to provide the extra light. Enjoy the eggs and make sure they are getting enough calcium in their diet

Back
Top Bottom