Not so crazy after all!

yeah, seems like faverolles don't fare so well in the heat. My second rooster was a rescue from the auction. He was crammed in a cage of roosters, on the bottom. As soon as I bought him, I bought a bottle of water and fed it to him in my hand. He sat in my lap for the rest of the sale. The first one I bought didn't show signs of stress at the sale, but as soon as I got home, I gave him water. It was too late! I went back to check on him, and he had keeled over! I grabbed him and stuck him in the goat water trough. Did you know that chickens float? He did not survive but I did manage to save the hens by dunking them so they got soaked. I just love my faverolles, they are so cute! This heat is awful for all the animals.

Quote:
I've tried spraying my birds with a fine mist from the hose and they run away from it as fast as they can. Yet if I leave a hose running with the nozzle set to a fine mist, they'll stand under it.
roll.png
I fool with the hose and nozzle until I have part of it filling a large shallow pan and half of it spraying on the ground. That's what makes the mud puddle the brahma girls love so much.

I let the other hose, from the well, run for about an hour. It made a huge river that the younger birds seem to be enjoying. They've all stopped looking lethargic and stressed and are now standing in it, preening themselves.

The SF finally left her pan and is on a roost. Since the other birds aren't in the coop yet I turned the oscillating fan so it's blowing directly on her. Guess it'll be a repeat performance tomorrow if I want to keep her alive.
hmm.png

I check on my constantly. I'm glad your birds have a southern accent....then they can understand mine and tell the girls to stop going broody. LOL

With 20 new babies and all the others I live outside with the hose, ice, and frozen treats. This weather has got to stop. Every animal here is miserable. And the heat does make for cranky Kitt. What I wouldn't do for cooler weather...or snow........

I turn the water hose on full blast and wait till the water is cold. As soon as it is cold, I spray a big majority of their pen with it. I change their water which is a little more warm than tepid by 2pm. I'm thinking about also putting a frozen water bottle in their waterer like someone else suggested, but I haven't done it as of yet. Their pen is surrounded by trees and one of them shades over 3/4 of the pen. There is also a commercial grade silver tarp over the top of the pen. So far so good.

My daughter and I will go down stairs in the heat of the day and plunk them into their little swimming pan of water. It is the lid to my daughters sand box, and they love it!

Quote:
I'll settle for some rain, lots of it.

What is rain???
hu.gif
I keep hearing that we are going to get some but nothing ever happens.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'll settle for some rain, lots of it.

What is rain???
hu.gif
I keep hearing that we are going to get some but nothing ever happens.
big_smile.png

We get a bunch of noise and lightning. Kane runs across the yard and the dust cloud he creates is worthy of a herd of buffalo.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom