Not so patiently.......waiting for eggs!

vintagegem

Songster
6 Years
Feb 12, 2014
Michigan
I have the most beautiful healthy hens ever!......they are perfect specimens, unfortunately they seem not to know how to lay eggs
sad.png
. The two oldest (Barred Rock cross) must be around 28-30 weeks at least, and the 3 younger Ameraucana are about 26 weeks. None show any signs of squatting or anything I can associate with imminent laying, apart from facial reddening of the 2 oldest hens, I can't check the pelvic bones as they are completely impossible to catch, pretty antisocial little buggers I have to say!. I know there's nothing I can really do except wait, but its just sooooooo frustrating
barnie.gif
. Anyone else in the same situation?

I also patiently waited for eggs. Our Barred Rock, Easter Egger, Golden Laced Wyandotte, and Mottled Cochin bantam, all started laying the same week. They were hatched 4/7/2014 so they were approximately 23 weeks. The cochin bantam layed her egg in the run and hasn't laid one since, unless it was eaten. The others laid their eggs in the same nesting box even though there are 5 available to them. It will happen. AND BTW, the only one singing the 'egg song' is the GLW

Can you get pictures of your birds and post them? While you can't physically examine the hard to catch birds, pictures will help assess their appearance of maturity and closeness of production. You mention being hard to catch - are they free range or confined? If the former, they may be laying and you are unaware.

Will try and post pictures, even though I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to technology
smile.png
. My girls have a run of 12 x 25 for most of the day and I let them out to range for about 4 hours a day now, and given the size of our yard (about 1 and a half acres) I know they aren't laying anywhere else. I check the coop and run frequently during the day so I can safely assume there's been no production there
sad.png
. Maybe I have the only small flock of non layers known to exist?.........
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom