Not splayed leg... Please help.

newbiejones

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
North Texas

can anyone help with this chick? I feel so bad. I'm having to keep it in a cup by itself. I tried to fix it with rubber band and straw but isn't helping :((( I think I need to tape its feet down on a piece of cardboard or something sturdy. It just rolls over and the other chickens are pecking at its feet because they shake so much and bc the chick is so helpless.

I hate to say this, but when I've had this happen, the outcome is never a happy one. I just dealt with it a few weeks ago. One of my Sizzles was doing great until about 10 days old, then started loosing its legs (I think it got stuck on its back while at was at work and stayed there for a while). I tried hobbling it and keeping it in a cup, but after being in there for a couple of days (and me hand feeding it), it still couldn't keep its balance and I came out to check on it only to find it had finally passed.
You could try securing its feet to a piece of cardboard to see if you can keep it upright, it really couldn't hurt. You might also want to separate it off in a little section of the brooder with some hardware clothe to keep the other chicks from bothering it.
I hope you can save yours, but if not, don't be too upset. Sometimes they just aren't meant to live for some reason or another.
Good luck, sorry about your chick :hugs

Thank you for responding. I am worried I will come home it and be passed. It sits up good in a corner by itself and it seems to be making some
Improvement but very little. Today it's two days old. I'm going to try making a sling out of t-shirt and hanging it with a bungee cord from the hardware cloth and see if this helps. Someone else recommended it and sent me a picture of what their Duck looked like and she said after a few days of being in the sling it helped it's sort of like a Johnny jump up for a baby assuming I'm not really sure how it will help but I'm willing to try anything

Back
Top Bottom