Not sure breed or gender of these two babies

Moosechick19

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2019
We got these two from our school when the Kindergarten class did an egg lesson. We brought them home around May 15th. They had been born for a week or two at least. They both came out walking weird and so I brought them home. One is great now and one still struggles. I have no idea if they are male or female. Neither have tried to crow yet. The smaller one is the one that struggles. She/he does eat and drink. I have put vitamins in the food and water. I have hobbled her legs. She had a boot on one, may have to put a boot on the other. I braced the really bad one. She gets around but you can tell she would like to walk normally. Any thoughts on that is welcomed as well. I have kept them together because the smaller one freaks out anytime the other is gone. Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG20230620203609.jpg
    IMG20230620203609.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 56
We got these two from our school when the Kindergarten class did an egg lesson. We brought them home around May 15th. They had been born for a week or two at least. They both came out walking weird and so I brought them home. One is great now and one still struggles. I have no idea if they are male or female. Neither have tried to crow yet. The smaller one is the one that struggles. She/he does eat and drink. I have put vitamins in the food and water. I have hobbled her legs. She had a boot on one, may have to put a boot on the other. I braced the really bad one. She gets around but you can tell she would like to walk normally. Any thoughts on that is welcomed as well. I have kept them together because the smaller one freaks out anytime the other is gone. Thanks for all your help!
Maybe a maran? How old? Then I can probably tell gender

Maybe a maran? How old? Then I can probably tell gender
Hey thanks for the fast reply. I am guessing here as I am not sure when they all hatched. About 8ish weeks at least. They are fully feathered and have been for about 2 to 3 weeks now. I am pretty sure they had the eggs in the incubator by sometime in April and then I took these two home around May 15th. I was thinking too too but it hasn't even attempted to start crowing and I am hoping not as we can't have roos 😢 and the injured one is really attached to the other.

Thanks again!

Yes, cockerel on left, pullet on right. Could you another picture of them with better lighting, please? As in more of a natural light.

Hey thanks for the fast reply. I am guessing here as I am not sure when they all hatched. About 8ish weeks at least. They are fully feathered and have been for about 2 to 3 weeks now. I am pretty sure they had the eggs in the incubator by sometime in April and then I took these two home around May 15th. I was thinking too too but it hasn't even attempted to start crowing and I am hoping not as we can't have roos 😢 and the injured one is really attached to the other.

Thanks again!
No problem! I’m sorry to say that you have one roo and one hen . Good luck!

No feathered shanks, not Marans. The similarity but the differences would suggest they are a barnyard mix, likely with an australorp or jersey giant. Australorp will have white skin, Jersey giant yellow.

Yes, you have one cockerel and one pullet. They will magically turn into a "rooster and hen" when they turn one year old 😉

If you'd like to get another pic of her legs, that would help. Usually with slipped tendons and a bird this age it is beyond the point of easy corrective repair - and typically requires surgery. But a picture would help.

Back
Top Bottom