Not sure if Hen is broody? HELP ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME!!!😊

I don't. Its only real function is to satisfy the keeper's curiosity (if they know how to do it properly; if they don't, they throw out perfectly good developing chicks). I find hatches go best with least interference.
I definitely push the limit of candling I would watch 24/7 if I could!!! It all fascinates me!!! I will try my very best to keep my hands to myself tho!😂

She’s from a hatchery actually ( Meyers hatchery to be exact and that is where I’ve gotten all of my chickens including 7 other pullets about 4 months younger than her I have so many pics if anyone wants to see😂😂) !!!! I have her in a 4 by 2 by 2 rabbit hutch on my upper porch so I could watch her more closely, should I move her down stairs even with her already sitting or just wait? Also can I just put it beside their run so they can still see each other or should she be inside the coop sectioned off? another thing is that most of her flock mates 4 out of 7 are actually leaving this week to go to a new home so she will be the 2nd oldest I was hoping this might moved her up in the pecking order for her and the babies? But I will also be adding the 7 pullets hopefully to the older hens, do you have many problems with pullets hurting chicks or mostly older hens ( my 7 pullets don’t actually realize they are chickens as they were raised by my farm dog and have more in common with him than the hens)
Interesting! I can always use some chick pics. You can leave her. Yes, by the coop is also fine. I just had pullets in my coop. But I would say any chicken will hurt the babies. Just cause they don't know who they are. I bet the hen moves up the order. Good luck!

Interesting! I can always use some chick pics. You can leave her. Yes, by the coop is also fine. I just had pullets in my coop. But I would say any chicken will hurt the babies. Just cause they don't know who they are. I bet the hen moves up the order. Good luck!
Great then I’ll keep posting here every Sunday til hatching for an update!! And that makes sense! Also I apologize in advance for the spam of chicken pictures😂 all of my babies currently ❤️❤️
218A03DD-6B46-47B8-8198-333C0748BF75.jpeg
28741B70-AF77-4229-9E9F-B34EC12D5278.jpeg
78E11FB4-E0B6-4EAF-A091-716BDEA7504A.jpeg
55187675-0B00-49FC-9D71-B553BBD6A560.jpeg
11D78C75-9FA7-45A0-8EA9-A23E50BD3E88.jpeg
B837D390-6D99-40E4-8FE9-75EDCDDE967E.jpeg
A246257A-C866-431F-9662-B33E54A4CE0A.jpeg
B66FCFA3-9960-40BB-878B-7DCE5B2D3707.jpeg
4975543B-74E6-416B-ACFD-7FAC0C0EAD3A.jpeg
D81F663C-A1D6-4ACF-9E02-3D5DBCC663BC.jpeg
FC94C26E-A21F-439A-8515-3AC8DAC85952.jpeg
Edit: names goes as following as best as I can with pics Lilith, Mary, Winnifred, Sarah, peaches, Wednesday, McNuggets the magic chicken, Gia, Cream , Ren (black) and Stimpy (red/orange) they are they youngest and only chickens I’ve hatched the eggs I got from a friend I think they are wellsummer and red production hens abt 4 weeks old

I have 1 mama hen that hatched out chicks 2.5 weeks ago. She would make some noises but never pecked me once. There were times she would go back to the wrong box and I had to move her and she let me with no issues. She is a GREAT mom! I left her in the nest box and never blocked her off and the chicks and her are doing great with my flock. But that may not work for everyone.

I now have 2 other broody hens. I just gave them eggs today (they went broody about a week ago give or take). One barely makes a peep but will puff up. I have some 6 week old chicks in the coop as well and if they get in pecking distance she will peck them.

My other broody makes some horrible noises the second she sees me. I thought for sure she was going to peck me and tried to at first but now she just growls and makes other horrible noises. hahaa. She puffs up HUGE too. Most times if the chicks (6 weeks old) get close to her face she will peck them but they all climb in her box at night and she is fine with it. Now that I gave her eggs I need to start taking them out and hopefully they start to roost on the roosting bars

so like others have said each broody is different. And how people do it are different. I was prepared to change things around if I needed to but I was hoping I didn't have to since I had the 6 weeks old in the brooder when the other hen hatched hers so it would have been hard. This time they are out of the brooder so I can use that with mama and babies if I have to but hoping it goes as smooth this time too.

Oh and last time I had some in the incubator and some under my broody. I candled the incubator ones more but I did check the ones under the broody about once a week. I will probably do the same this time. maybe more but will try to keep it to around once a week. LOL

I have 1 mama hen that hatched out chicks 2.5 weeks ago. She would make some noises but never pecked me once. There were times she would go back to the wrong box and I had to move her and she let me with no issues. She is a GREAT mom! I left her in the nest box and never blocked her off and the chicks and her are doing great with my flock. But that may not work for everyone.

I now have 2 other broody hens. I just gave them eggs today (they went broody about a week ago give or take). One barely makes a peep but will puff up. I have some 6 week old chicks in the coop as well and if they get in pecking distance she will peck them.

My other broody makes some horrible noises the second she sees me. I thought for sure she was going to peck me and tried to at first but now she just growls and makes other horrible noises. hahaa. She puffs up HUGE too. Most times if the chicks (6 weeks old) get close to her face she will peck them but they all climb in her box at night and she is fine with it. Now that I gave her eggs I need to start taking them out and hopefully they start to roost on the roosting bars

so like others have said each broody is different. And how people do it are different. I was prepared to change things around if I needed to but I was hoping I didn't have to since I had the 6 weeks old in the brooder when the other hen hatched hers so it would have been hard. This time they are out of the brooder so I can use that with mama and babies if I have to but hoping it goes as smooth this time too.

Oh and last time I had some in the incubator and some under my broody. I candled the incubator ones more but I did check the ones under the broody about once a week. I will probably do the same this time. maybe more but will try to keep it to around once a week. LOL
I appreciate all the advice and help!!!!!! This puts my mind at ease some although I know each chicken has their own personality, it just so happens the chicken that hates me becomes broody😭😭 I have pics up above and names if ur interested in some cute chicken pics lol

Great then I’ll keep posting here every Sunday til hatching for an update!! And that makes sense! Also I apologize in advance for the spam of chicken pictures😂 all of my babies currently ❤️❤️View attachment 3128052View attachment 3128053View attachment 3128054View attachment 3128055View attachment 3128056View attachment 3128057View attachment 3128058View attachment 3128059View attachment 3128060View attachment 3128061View attachment 3128062Edit: names goes as following as best as I can with pics Lilith, Mary, Winnifred, Sarah, peaches, Wednesday, McNuggets the magic chicken, Gia, Cream , Ren (black) and Stimpy (red/orange) they are they youngest and only chickens I’ve hatched the eggs I got from a friend I think they are wellsummer and red production hens abt 4 weeks old
Aww! I love Peaches!

Aww! I love Peaches!
Also I had these eggs in the incubator for about 12 hours before I gave them to her will that affect anything do you think I wasn’t sure about giving her cold eggs? She’s sitting fine I just don’t know if I messed up their hatching ability

Back
Top Bottom