Not sure if my hen is elderly or sick? Help needed.

Let's pretend that a full grown hen should eat about 3/4 cup worth of a crumbled or pelleted feed per day.
This is actually pretty close to the amount of feed they need.

If you're feeding multiple other things per day then the bird is not going to have enough room to eat three quarters cup worth of feed which takes away from her getting a balanced diet. She needs that three quarters cup worth of balanced poultry feed.

Mealworms lettuce, kitchen, scraps, eggs all of that stuff is considered a treat and it should be no more than the amount of one tablespoon worth, no matter what it is, per day.

1 tablespoon worth is a really small amount.

Most people throw handfuls of treats out and it is possible that some birds make it to the treat pile quicker than others... And way more than others.

Does not look good. Is that yellowish thing on the top something that came out of her? Or is that just something that was on the ground?

Does not look good. Is that yellowish thing on the top something that came out of her? Or is that just something that was on the ground?
It's hard to tell, but upon closer inspection it looks like a small piece of mulch that got kicked into it.

The dropping has a lot of white urates(chicken pee) and some green poops can be seen under it. Is she drinking enough water?
No that I have seen. :( I put out multiple water sources for her, and even brought some to her each chance I get and she refuses. It has been raining for two days so the metal fence is wet, and she keeps trying to sip water droplets off of it. It's very odd.

Back
Top Bottom