Not sure if my hen is elderly or sick? Help needed.

kyn26

In the Brooder
May 21, 2023
Hello, sorry for the long post!

Some background: I have a Red Sex Link (Sybil), of which we are unsure of her age. We have had her for a year and she was already grown when we got the house. We have only ever seen 4-6 eggs from Sybil, and the occasional soft egg. The most recent being about a day or two before she fell ill.

The Problem:
For almost a week Sybil has been varying in energy levels. Mostly just standing still and dozing off. She's a lot quieter and won't come running. Either stays still or slowly walks along. Occasionally her tail is down. She is showing no other symptoms other than this lethargy. Eyes and nostrils seem to be clear. No sign of being egg bound.

She went from eating normally (Purina Flock Raiser) and snacks (mealworms, fruits, and veggies) to barely eating or drinking. She will slowly eat watermelon and sip water droplets off a fence. I did feed her some scrambled eggs with some of her food softened and mixed in.

I should note that a week and a half prior to her falling ill, we did introduce new pullets. We changed her food from Layer Pellets to Flock Raiser, and after the first sign of issues we introduced her old food back to her in case that was the issue.

Any ideas what this may be or how I should proceed? The other are showing no symptoms other than one of our other girls had a sneezy day (but that seems to be about cleared).

(Picture was from the first day she was feeling off.)

Attachments

• PXL_20230612_215002649.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230612_215002649.PORTRAIT.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 77
How does her crop feel in late afternoon, and then again early in the morning before eating or drinking? Tail down position as well as the soft eggs may mean that she is suffering from a reproductive disorder. Those can be seen often in older hens. Salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, and cancer are common ones. I would offer some wet mushy chicken feed and a small bit of scrambled eggs. Put water in a few spots around the chicken yard. Consider worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste. If you seen any abnormal droppings, post a picture.

Hello, sorry for the long post!

Some background: I have a Red Sex Link (Sybil), of which we are unsure of her age. We have had her for a year and she was already grown when we got the house. We have only ever seen 4-6 eggs from Sybil, and the occasional soft egg. The most recent being about a day or two before she fell ill.

The Problem:
For almost a week Sybil has been varying in energy levels. Mostly just standing still and dozing off. She's a lot quieter and won't come running. Either stays still or slowly walks along. Occasionally her tail is down. She is showing no other symptoms other than this lethargy. Eyes and nostrils seem to be clear. No sign of being egg bound.

She went from eating normally (Purina Flock Raiser) and snacks (mealworms, fruits, and veggies) to barely eating or drinking. She will slowly eat watermelon and sip water droplets off a fence. I did feed her some scrambled eggs with some of her food softened and mixed in.

I should note that a week and a half prior to her falling ill, we did introduce new pullets. We changed her food from Layer Pellets to Flock Raiser, and after the first sign of issues we introduced her old food back to her in case that was the issue.

Any ideas what this may be or how I should proceed? The other are showing no symptoms other than one of our other girls had a sneezy day (but that seems to be about cleared).

(Picture was from the first day she was feeling off.)
Do you feed treats like mentioned above daily?

How does her crop feel in late afternoon, and then again early in the morning before eating or drinking? Tail down position as well as the soft eggs may mean that she is suffering from a reproductive disorder. Those can be seen often in older hens. Salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, and cancer are common ones. I would offer some wet mushy chicken feed and a small bit of scrambled eggs. Put water in a few spots around the chicken yard. Consider worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste. If you seen any abnormal droppings, post a picture.
Thank you so much! I'll be able to check her crop shortly. I'll snap a picture of her dropping too. They have been small, mostly liquid, with a little bit of green lumps if I recall correctly.

Do you feed treats like mentioned above daily?
Not all of them. A small amount of meal worms daily to call them in. I try to limit the others, so maybe a small amount of veggies 1-3 days a week, fruits mainly on extra hot days. I have been trying different things lately to see if what she will eat though.

Not all of them. A small amount of meal worms daily to call them in. I try to limit the others, so maybe a small amount of veggies 1-3 days a week, fruits mainly on extra hot days. I have been trying different things lately to see if what she will eat though.
Reproductive issues can be caused by over feeding high fat treats...like meal worms. Most people aren't aware that meal worms are extremely high in fat. Most people aren't aware that a hen becomes overweight with such a tiny amount of added weight...weight we can't even tell is there by just looking at the bird.

I'm sorry your girl isn't doing well.

Reproductive issues can be caused by over feeding high fat treats...like meal worms. Most people aren't aware that meal worms are extremely high in fat. Most people aren't aware that a hen becomes overweight with such a tiny amount of added weight...weight we can't even tell is there by just looking at the bird.

I'm sorry your girl isn't doing well.
Oh wow! I didn't know that. I've read a lot that they were okay. Definitely stopping the daily worm snacks today. Do you have any suggestions for snacks?

Oh wow! I didn't know that. I've read a lot that they were okay. Definitely stopping the daily worm snacks today. Do you have any suggestions for snacks?
Crumbled or pelleted feed soaked in a little water.

The dummies will think it is a treat because it's wet.

Attachments

• PXL_20230623_211744127.jpg
    PXL_20230623_211744127.jpg
    812.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom