Not sure if this is the right place to put this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
He's suggested that people shoot their own dogs at a first incident instead of training them. Shooting your own dog should be an absolute last resort - the vast majority of these problems can be fixed with a couple hours of time spent with the dog and a chicken.

He's told stories about a dog being outside his fence, letting it into his yard, and then shooting it when it walked into the open door of his house.

He's told stories about letting a dog into his yard and then shooting it when his smaller dog started a fight with it.

He's said that he regularly shoots dogs on his property whether or not they've harassed any livestock.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... He likes shooting dogs.

As someone who has worked with dogs and currently works with dogs- mainly dogs with behavior "issues" as humans like to call them...A "stock killing dog" can be trained to LEAVE IT. However, you can not leave them alone together, you can not just expect any dog to get along with small prey- that is what basically any small animal is to them. It is NOT DIFFICULT TO CONTAIN A DOG TO AN OUTDOOR KENNEL. Please, why is this never an option? Why always kill it?

It's real simple for my purposes.

1. I have a life and will not stand 24/7 guard on a stock killing dog.
2. I have stock to tend that serves a purpose like feeding me and mine.
3. I will not tolerate a known threat to me or mine.
4. I will not allow a known threat to stock pass on to others where it remains a threat.
5. My stock is bred for future potential and I don't foresee a need for stock killing.

For some odd reason some soft headed folks get the absurd notion that animal life is equal to human life and if it breathes then it shouldn't be killed.

Acts 10:11-14

11 and he saw the sky opened up, and an object like a great sheet coming down, lowered by four corners to the ground, 12 and there were in it all kinds of four-footed animals and crawling creatures of the earth and birds of the air. 13 A voice came to him, “Get up, Peter, kill and eat!” 

Sadly, many who defend the life of a stock killing dog will not defend the life of humans in the womb. Kind of backwards in my book.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... He likes shooting dogs.

I shouldn't even honor this with a reply but I ask you do you eat your chickens or their eggs? If so you must be a slap happy poultry murdering fool. I bet you get your jollies plucking a scalded bird.

I as stated I do not find pleasure in the mundane duties of life. If it eases your lilly liver any I have not found the need to shoot a dog was raised or bred by me. Strange how that works my dogs are always planned for and model citizens. Kind of like other people's kids don't you think?

Well, honestly, I respect ALL life. I don't believe in murdering anyone or anything if there are other options.
Personally don't believe in a man in the sky making everything, but even so, that I have never read in any bible I have read.
I also do not "like" abortion.

However, I will never understand the minds of people who see anything other than a human being- something to shoot and kill just because it is an inconvenience.

It is our fault that dogs are here. Humans bred them and made them pets. I don't like cats- but I won't go around shooting them because I've tripped over them or because they annoy me or because they have stolen dog food.

I understand why it is hard for you to protect your animals, however, after losing some of my animals to predators, I invested in keeping them safe- no matter what.

There will always be predators- so why wait around and lose animals when I could protect them, even when I'm not at home?

I don't know why people who respect all life would be considered bad..but ok..

If us humans are so much better, smarter, above the other things on this planet- why do we not want to do better? To not move forward into a more educated and less barbaric being? I guess, I do not understand why we should use violence to solve issues, when they could be solved without it.

I am going to ignore all the negativity that ensued after your initial question and just give you my two cents worth of advice-it might not work for you but it worked great for me.
I have a German Shepherd/Akita mix who used to pay way too much attention to my mom's chickens and a bull terrier who likes to taunt, chase, and destroy whatever runs from her. When I got my first chickens I practiced with the dogs by holding the chickens in my lap and, occasionally, letting the dogs smell them. If the dogs looked too interested, they got a little swat (usually from my husband because I was holding the chicken). Our first chicken-dog intro on the ground was a little nerve-wracking but, fortunately, one of my hens was more like a rooster and went for the bully's face. That was that. All 3 of my dogs are good with the chickens now and they all roam the yard together with zero incidents. I repeat the process with any nee chicks or pullets.

I don't know if this will work in your case but thought it might help at any rate! Good luck!

Thanks to everyone who participated, but this thread has run it's course, as such threads often do, and we'll just pull the curtain down on the drama.

The passionate and diverse points of view on this subject inevitably seem to result in contentiousness on threads involving these subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom