Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or A Cockerel? Click Here!

Pics
My mom-in-law hatched them about three weeks ago, but we are not sure what breeds they are or their sex. The flock that the eggs came from included the following breeds:

Hens: Ameracauna, Barred Rock, Austrolorp, Silkie, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Crested Polish, Buff Orpington
Roosters: Buff Orpington, Ameracauna, Silkie, Frizzle, Copper Maran

Here are my two babies:

Barred Rock with what? Male or Female?

Ameracauna with what? Male or Female?

Thanks all!
I think the bottom ones dad was either the silkie or frizzle(was it a cochin?), possibly maran because it looks like it has partly feathered legs, or am I just seeing something? It does have feathered legs right? Not much but some?

Any gender guess?
We were fortunate to adopt some chicks that were hatched by the local 1st graders. They are all Murray McMurray hatchery. I'm a first time chicken keeper, we don't know gender or breed though the kids and I have had fun guessing!! What say you? Thanks!

I think the bottom ones dad was either the silkie or frizzle(was it a cochin?), possibly maran because it looks like it has partly feathered legs, or am I just seeing something? It does have feathered legs right? Not much but some?

Yes, the legs are partially feathered (not fully like silkies or frizzles), which leads me to think the dad may be a maran..

Yes, the legs are partially feathered (not fully like silkies or frizzles), which leads me to think the dad may be a maran..
It still may be the silkie or frizzle, because unless the chicks mother had feathered legs(which she didn't I assume) then the chicks legs wouldn't be fully feathered anyways. When it's older you can look at the comb. Because most of the time if the chicks parents had different types of combs they will get a mix of both. Like my EE bantam x RIR looked like it had a pea comb when it was little but it turned out to look like a pea comb at the top but be rather tall and thin like a single comb. And also I have 2 crossbred bantams that I wasn't really sure what the parents are(the person i got them from didn't give me very good information, but they told me one of the parents was a polish(assuming polish bantam)) but I knew one of the parents had to have had a v comb and a crest with only 4 toes(both of them only had 4 toes, so it wasn't a houdan) and the other had to have feathered legs and a single comb, because they had a little half-crest-mohawk thing, slightly feathered legs, and their combs started out as a single comb, but at the back completely split into two different single combs. I have a picture of Key's comb(his is more split than his brother, MinHo's)

So in your case I would look to see if it looks like a cross between a single comb and a pea comb, or a pea comb and a walnut comb(that might be interesting lol). If the dad was the maran the chicks should also be bigger that if it was the frizzle, if the frizzle was a bantam( is the frizzle a bantam?). But sometimes if a specific comb is more dominant then they will just get that type, like I had a golden laced wyandotte x RIR rooster who just had a rose comb like is mom. So yeah, that's what I have found out. It's really helpful to look at the combs when you don't know the parents.

He/She was sold to us as a Buff Orpington, but we've recently learned that's not the case. So I'm not sure what it is, but it's 5/6 weeks old and has a much more pronounced comb than the others in its batch. Thanks!

My babies are two weeks old.

From the left they're Delaware, Cinnamon Queen, Easter Egger and Salmon Faverolle. Someone already determined the SF is a pullet, and I know it's early, but I'm curious about the others. I'm especially wondering about the cinnamon queen who seems to be the sassiest of the bunch. Here are some other photos. Thoughts?

My babies are two weeks old.

From the left they're Delaware, Cinnamon Queen, Easter Egger and Salmon Faverolle. Someone already determined the SF is a pullet, and I know it's early, but I'm curious about the others. I'm especially wondering about the cinnamon queen who seems to be the sassiest of the bunch. Here are some other photos. Thoughts?

No one screaming rooster yet.

Back
Top Bottom