Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or A Cockerel? Click Here!

Both Gender and breed. My daughter got a little excited at Rural King and had a few in the box before I could look at which breeds she was getting.
This "girl" is the main one that I'm questioning the sex.
Looks like a Pioneer, Dixie, or Rainbow. Different hatcheries have different name for them, they are all basically the same thing. It's still a bit too young to be sure of gender.

Please forgive the ignorance. Why is breed so important in the back yard chicken community? Egg color and egg production right.
But is it a problem to have a variety of breeds together. I have a few different breeds buff orpingtons, Cali Whites and Easter eggers.
They seem to get a long OK.. Is it wrong to have them together? be gentle I am a newbie

here is a chicken selfie :) By the way Junebuggena- that is a really cute little guy you have there
jumpy.gif

Please forgive the ignorance. Why is breed so important in the back yard chicken community? Egg color and egg production right. But is it a problem to have a variety of breeds together. I have a few different breeds buff orpingtons, Cali Whites and Easter eggers. They seem to get a long OK.. Is it wrong to have them together? be gentle I am a newbie here is a chicken selfie :) By the way Junebuggena- that is a really cute little guy you have there:jumpy
It is fine to have several breeds together... Everyone does it...

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if I have roosters or hens? The photos are numbered but it may be hard to see. Sorry some of them came out sideways.

Please forgive the ignorance. Why is breed so important in the back yard chicken community? Egg color and egg production right.
But is it a problem to have a variety of breeds together. I have a few different breeds buff orpingtons, Cali Whites and Easter eggers.
They seem to get a long OK.. Is it wrong to have them together? be gentle I am a newbie

here is a chicken selfie :) By the way Junebuggena- that is a really cute little guy you have there
jumpy.gif

Different reasons, if your planing on selling them you need to know what breed they are to tell the people you are selling them to, or you would just like to know, or different breeds lay different eggs. It is perfectly fine to have different breeds together. My flock has about 6 different breeds in it.

Last edited:
Does 6 look like a Pullet also? I guessed right on all the others, but 6 looks like a cockerel to me. I still have alot to learn.

What do you think about these two? Hens or Roos? 10 weeks old- the one on the left acts like a roo but the one on the right definitely doesn't..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom