Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Hi all! I am a first time chicken owner, with a small back yard flock of 6 heritage breed chickens. They are all 11 weeks old. I have a BO which I suspect is a cockerel. Clementine is not aggressive, but she/he has dominant to all the other birds from Day 1. However, she/he is my sweetest lap chicken, and I cannot bear to re-home her if it turns out she is actually "Clem". Tail feathers Hackle feathers In addition to these images, I can also attest that her feet are big for her body, and her plumage has spots of extremely bright orange, shiny feathers mixed in with the more "matte" feathers. My lavender Orp does not show this plumage pattern. She/he is not crowing, but on 2 separate occasions in the early morning she made a strange moaning noise that could have been a practice crow. If this is a cockerel I will have him caponized, but I need to know for sure before we open him up and go digging for his gold nuggets.
Looks like a pullet

Hi all! I am a first time chicken owner, with a small back yard flock of 6 heritage breed chickens. They are all 11 weeks old. I have a BO which I suspect is a cockerel. Clementine is not aggressive, but she/he has dominant to all the other birds from Day 1. However, she/he is my sweetest lap chicken, and I cannot bear to re-home her if it turns out she is actually "Clem".

Tail feathers

Hackle feathers

In addition to these images, I can also attest that her feet are big for her body, and her plumage has spots of extremely bright orange, shiny feathers mixed in with the more "matte" feathers. My lavender Orp does not show this plumage pattern. She/he is not crowing, but on 2 separate occasions in the early morning she made a strange moaning noise that could have been a practice crow.

If this is a cockerel I will have him caponized, but I need to know for sure before we open him up and go digging for his gold nuggets.
At 11 weeks old, that's a cockerel.

I think I have two pullets and a roi, please help me.

Sorry, duh they are both 5 weeks. I tried to post these last night from my phone with limited success!

Oh, 5 weeks, you have cockerels for sure.

Here are some pics, just for comparison, so you can see why yours look like cockerels.

Australorp pullet around 8 weeks (small comb, no wattles)

and the same bird at about 6 months.

7 wk Welsummer pullet

same bird as an adult

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom